Is the PS2 a decent DVD player ? (more....)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_C, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

I did a search, but couldn't find much information regarding this. This isn't something I really want to do, but I may have to sell my Pioneer Elite DV-05 and use my PS2 as my DVD player. I was recently laid off from Nortel, and money is getting tight. This would not be permanent, just until I got another job and bought a progressive scan DVD player for my 32XBR400 [​IMG] If it matters, I have the monster component cable running to my 32" WEGA, and a B&K AVR202 reciever. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
    ------------------
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

2. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

I play movies on my PS2 and it plays them decent, but as everyone knows, it's not perfect. For being what it is, an added feature on a gaming console, it's good. I've had a few sync problems with some of my DVDs, but overall, it's done pretty well. The new Sony DVD remote has new drivers for the player that give it new functions. I believe only the older/original systems need them. The newer ones are supposed to have them already in the firmware. I'm not sure if you can use the features without the remote, though.

3. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Thanks Steve, anyone else have any comments?
    ------------------
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I THINK the remote/firmware fixed the sync issue for me.
    the ONLY problem i have had is one spot in Susperia whacks out my player- but this may be due to a slight scratch from when the case fell off the shelf and the disck popped out.

5. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

I've had problems playing some DVD's on my Playstation 2. I own an earlier PS/2 and from what I hear, the new Official Playstation 2 remote fixes the problems on the earlier console's.
    The new DVD drivers come on an installation CD and take up some room on your memory card.

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

7. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I would never use my PS2 as a DVD player. It is first and foremost a video game console.
    The extra wear and tear can't be good for the console either.
    I would suggest getting an entry level DVD player instead.
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

8. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I'm using my PS2 as my primary dvd player. I had problems with the lip sync issues and skipping until when I updated to the new driver provided with the Sony Remote. It takes 2MB out of your memory card. I agree, it's not the best of dvd but it works for now. I'm planning to purchase a progressive dvd player once I can afford to get widescreen tv.
    Bruce

9. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

The black level for DVD playback is set at 0IRE (Japan's
    black level standard) vs the NTSC 7.5IRE Black level used
    in the United States. This can cause the blacks to be a
    smidge too dark. You can increase your Brightness control
    on your playback monitor to compensate, but then all other
    (correct) sources will tend to look washed out. Re: Lip
    sync: I haven't watched a lot of DVDs on the PS2 sense I
    upgraded the internal DVD drivers from V1.10 to V2.10U,
    but *so far* I haven't noticed any audio drift of late.
    But the bottom for me (IMO of course!) is the PS2 is still
    a slightly sub-standard DVD player. Unless ca$h is really
    tight, or optimum DVD playback is not a prime concern, try
    to get a stand alone DVD player.

10. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I went out and bought the PS/2 remote with the updated drivers and tested it on 2 discs I know have problems.
    On one of the discs, the PS/2 gets a disc read error, and doesn't play the disc at all.
    On the other, at a certain part of the movie, the PS/2 would skip right through a scene.
    Neither problem solved after I upgraded the Drivers. Plus, it requires over 2mb out of your 8mb memory card. Though you can erase the new driver information off of your memory card and always reinstall them later, but you won't be able to use the remote anymore.
    From what I can tell, the drivers only add features like multi-speed scan, backwards slow, shuffle, and don't help increase playback functionality of the PS/2.
    When I have more time, I will test the new drivers with a disc or 2 that I know have had audio sync problems with the old drivers.