Is the problem my center channel speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Hancock, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

While watching The Big Lebowski the other day and I noticed something. When The Dude, Walter, and Donny are out side and about to fight the neihilist Walter starts saying give it your best shot I thought my speaker was distorting a little bit. I turned down the volume and it did the same thing. Then I put in the Matrix and watched some dialog heavy parts and it did not appear to do this. My center channel is a Boston CRC and I am using a Sony DE475 for my reciever. My center channel size is set to small. Is it just the movie that I am hearing or is there something wrong with my center channel. Or am I just crazy. thanks for the help

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Sounds like distortion caused by audio clipping in the master soundtrack used for the DVD, or possibly even the archival master had a problem with accidently over-juicing (pegging) the dialog track which would then cause distortion like you are talking about.
    Toy Story's DVD and Laserdiscs has this dialog distortion problem too in some scenes.
    The mixing dude was asleep at his post.
    Dan

3. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

If you turn the sound down to a medium level, but can here the same sound..chances are its not the amp clipping.
    If it only occurs on one disc at the same place, or a few scenes from one disk but others that are similar work just fine...chances are its the disc.
    If I note something unusual..I usually post to the software section of this forum. Also, try it on someone elses (or a dealers) system. If you hear the same thing...its the disc.
    Won't be the first or the last time a disc had screwed up audio.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

4. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Yeah I noticed that when buzz and woody are talking right before Sid blows up the combat carl. Thanks for the input
    ------------------
    "Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially sense I rule"