Is the price difference worth it between the Denon 3802 and 4802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Given that the Denon 3802 is now available for around $700 online, does it make any sense to even consider the Denon 4802? I know you get a bit more power, but is there any significant must-have feature on the 4802 that justifies another 60%-80% expenditure over the 3802?

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Not to me.

3. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    I agonized over the same question for months[​IMG]
    What finally sold me on the 4802 is it's amp section.
    Built around a massive toroidal transformer, it based
    on the design of the venerable 5802. The amp section
    of the 3802 is built around a block transformer like
    the lower end of the Denon line.
    If you read the instruction manuals you will find that
    the pre/pro sections of the 3802 and 4802 are practicals the same.
    If you are going to add an external amp I think the
    3802 is a fine choice. If not, I think the 4802 as a
    better amp section.
    Is it worth the extra money ???. To me it was.
    Was it justified ???. I don't know.
    All I can say is that I just love the receiver and
    in the end that's what counts.
    Good luck [​IMG]
    Robert

4. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    That's a tough call. Just a quick look through Denon's spec sheet and here is what I noticed. (please keep in mind I do not own either receiver)

The 4802 has more cross-over settings 40 & 60 as well as all the settings the 3802 has (80, 100 & 120)

The 4802 has Pure Direct Mode for 2 channel stereo and I don't see that listed under the specs of the 3802.

The 4802 has more inputs and outputs including 3 component video in vs 2 for the 3802. I also believe the 4802 has more bandwidth for component video switching so switching an HD signal is probably better with the 4802.

The 4802 has dual SHARC processors vs. 1 for the 3802.

However, for the price of 4802 you could get a 3802 and I nice external amp which, from what I have read, would probably sound better.

I am looking for a replacement for my Yamaha RxV995 so I have been thinking about this myself. For me, it comes down to how long I think it will be before I will want to upgrade the receiver again and if I can find a used 4802 for sale. The longer the time between upgrades, the more I lean towards the 4802. The other wild card, at least for me, is the possibility of finding a used 4802. Recently here in the forum, a 4802 without the Atkins remote was offered at $1175 plus shipping. Another member had one for sale w/remote, asking $1550 obo with the possibility of shipping included depending on price.

I think I would go with a 3802 and external 5 channel amp if I thought I would want to replace the receiver in less than 2 years. With a longer time window before upgrading, I would spend the extra money on the 4802 and probably add a 3 channel amp for mains and center.

Probably can't go wrong with either though.

-Keith

P.S. I know it wasn't one of your options but I am waiting to take a look at the Rotel 1055 before making a final decision myself.

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

For me the only significant addition is the lower crossover points that the 4802 provides. The other things that the 4802 add are worthwhile but not for the difference in price.

BTW, if you wait until the replacement for the 4802 is announced then you'll see the 4802 reduced to a very reasonable price. A guy I know got a 4800 for half price shortly after the 4802 was announced.

6. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Patrick,
    One BIG reason I would recommend the 4802 vs. the 3802 would be the digital inputs. You're talking double the amount......4(3 opt, 1 coax) on the 3802 versus 8!!(5 opt, 3 coax) on the 4802. not only that, you get 2 digital outputs on the 4802 versus just 1 on the 3802. The capability to expand should always be of paramount importance.........one reason I went from the 4800 to the 5800 was that it freed up 2 digital inputs so I could expand later if need be. The Pure direct mode is also very handy........really makes the music shine in 2-channel. I would recommend the 4802. For what it matters(to me it did[​IMG]), the 4802 is also THX certified.......the 3802 is not. This means you get the actual THX EX logorithim.....versus the "pseudo" matrix on the 3802. I liked the EX and the ES for movies..........wasn't quite as impressed with the "pseudo" matirx when I listened to a movie......seemed to be missing a little something. Hope this helps.....good luck!

7. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I had a tough time with this decision and ended up with the 3802 and then later added a Parasound 1205A amp. The sound is now incredible.

And I still paid less than what a 4802 would cost:
    Denon 3802 - $740
    Parasound 1205A - $609
    Total - $1349

Plus I am now so much closer to going to separates. Now I don't have to worry about buying receivers ever 1-2 years just to keep current. I can buy a nice pre/pro like the Rotel RSP-1066 and get all the updates I need to stay current.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Another $700-800 is alot to ask for more digital inputs and the THX stamp. I'd tend to spend $100 on the Audio Authority digital switcher. But the pre/pro section may have more in common with the 580x.

Corbin, Not sure what you mean by "pseudo" matrix on the 3802. When I had a 6th speaker connected it sounded pretty good to me.

9. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    At the 4802 pricing, you can go the Pre/Pro route. Outlaw 950 , and a nice 5 Channel Parasound Amp would work.

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

So Patrick are you looking to finally retire your Sony STR-DB930? [​IMG]

12. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

I have the 4802 and don't care for it. Its ok but for the money I should have went seperates. I use seperate amps and am looking for a seperate pre. Next is a Classe or Theta and goodbye Denon(IMHO).
    andy

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Greg, actually this question was posed on the behalf of a friend who's trying to make a decision between the 2 models. I still use my Sony DB930 on a daily basis, but will probably go the separates route within a year. [​IMG]

14. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

Yes

15. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

The "psuedo" matrix I was talking about was the fact that since the 3802 is not a THX receiver, the "psuedo" EX that is used is not the actual EX logorithim. I believe it is actually called matrix 6.1.........I just used the "pseudo" adjective to show that it ISN"T the official EX. I had the 4800, sold the 3801 and 3802, and have the 5800. I was able to hear the difference between the THX EX and the matrix 6.1. To me, it was noticeable. I also went to the 5800 to get the DTS-ES discrete, which the 3802 DOES have. You might be able to run the 3802 DTS-ES matrix and get very similiar to the EX sound. I have the Episode 1 LD.....and to me the EX sounds awesome on movies that are mixed with EX.....better than ES used on an EX movie. They both sound good.......the EX just sounds BETTER on a EX movie than ES matrix does(to my ears[​IMG] ).
    Either way, they both are excellent receivers.......the digital inputs were important to me and it is always useful to be able to expand for the future. Plus the Pure Direct CANNOT be underestimated. The percentage of music to HT use will be important. If your friend likes music(and most people do[​IMG]), PD is a incredible feature. What kind of speakers does he have and/or plan to use in the future? The amps in the 4802 are very good.......unless he has an ENORMOUS room, the 4802 should be enough for him. The pre-pro section is different.......2 SHARCS versus just 1 on the 3802. One last bit....the 4803 is supposed to be out this fall(Sept/Oct). He MIGHT get a better price then on a 4802.......but I also talked to my Denon rep. They have tons of 5803s.......but they are short on pretty much everything else. This isn't to say you can't find a 3802 or 4802.......just that aren't that many of them out there. By the time the 4803 comes out, it MAY be difficult if not impossible to find a 4802. Just something to consider Patrick. Let me know what happens!

16. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

the 3802 has "Direct". is it different than "Pure Direct"?, or is it the same thing?

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

My friend's speakers aren't anything to write home about, but all things in due time. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the additional input/clarification.

18. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Direct just means that you are getting the signal with no adjustments done to it(i.e. no bass or treble). Pure Direct is a different animal entirely.....it shuts down the video and/or DSP sections in the receiver to give highest quality with NO interference. When an analog input is used, the digital section is turned off as well. [​IMG]

19. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Patrick,

I recently auditioned the 4802, 5800, and 5803. I did not audition the 3802 as I have an Onkyo 797 which I considered to be pretty much in the same class.

After much help on this forum I decided to add external amps to my system which made all the difference in the world and I am totally happy now...well almost...you know speakers, interconnects, new amps, new pre/pro....

Any way bet you could save major change with the 3802 and external amps. I got the AMC 2n100-5 (150WPC x 5) very reasonable and have not looked back...except the whole bi-amping issue now....will we ever be happy?

Good luck

Phil

PS.. If it is close between the two in your mind then get the 4802 if for no other reason than you will always second guess yourself when you turn the unit on and end up upgrading and spending more money sooner than later.