What's new

Is the POWERAMP section of the HTPS pointless?! (1 Viewer)

NicholasL

Second Unit
I read that in the Monster Power HTPS 7000 (and probably all other power center units for that matter), the inputs dedicated for poweramps offer no filtering for balanced output. Does that mean I paid $1200 for nothing more than a surge protector???

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Parasound does not recommend plugging the A51 into any power conditioner. I have mine plugged into the wall. The HTPS 7000 balanced power works best for sources and video monitors. No, you did not pay $1200 for just surge supression, try your processor/monitor/sources with and without the 7000 and you will see.:)

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, let's let the worms stay in the can and change to see if you want to keep it by comparing the two. That said, in my opinion, I do see and hear the difference and it is worthwhile. :)

NicholasL

Second Unit
Why is it that Parasound doesn't recommend plugging the A51 (and my soon-to-be A21) into the unit? Would they also recommend against plugging the C2 in as well? If anything atleast the surge protection is insurance, if not the added benefit of stage 5 power filtering (not the balancing of AC current i assume). I am quite confused now.

And what can of worms were we opening?

RobWil

Supporting Actor
And what can of worms were we opening?
I think some people believe these power centers don't provide any audible or visual difference at all....kinda like power cords, etc. and some believe that make a tremendous difference. I think it's one of those objective/subjective arguments that lead nowhere.
Just guessing though :D

DannyL

Stunt Coordinator
i think the main reason for plugging amps directly into the wall is that there will not be any limitations on the power available for the amp. plugging into the power line conditioner may limit power. i had this experience when i plugged my aragon 8008 into my panamax surge protector- it did help eliminate some background noise but my soundstage dramatically widened when i ran it directly to the wall socket. you may want to look at some of the balanced pwer units from b-p-t or equitech. they both manufacture ones that are rated for a full 15 or 20 amps.

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,
I am facing somewhat similar dilemma with you. I have a Panamax 5500 and all the gears are plugged into it. My amp is B&K AV125.7 In all cases, the current draw at almost reference level listening NEVER exceeds 7 amps, all 5 channels driven (i.e. SACD or DVD-A Multi and DD/DTS Movie) I also have dedicated outlet with PS Audio power port. I have not tried to plug the amp directly to the wall, simply because it's a hassle (custom cabinet with tight opening in the back for the carol 10 gauge custom power cords that I used), but I am torn between believing that I should spend the time comparing those two options and providing a complete system protection, in case of surges, spike, etc. Anybody can shed some lights as to the performance around this, specific to Pana 5500? Thanks all!

NicholasL

Second Unit
Well I called both Monster Power and Parasound. Parasound said that it might be safer to plug the units into the wall, since high power amplifiers (like the A51 or A21) draw a max of 15 amps.

However, Monster Power said that there should be no problem, since the HTPS 7000 is rated at a full 15 amps, not to mention that in their testing, they have passed over 21,000 watts of power through the unit to demonstrate its power handling capability. They said the HTPS 7000 has a section dedicated for high current power amps, and that is what should be plugged into it.

So it seems that it would be safe to do so...but I'm still worried based on what people are posting.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Frances,

It’s unclear to me what options puzzle you; perhaps you mean B&K amplifier plugged into Panamax 5500 or directly into wall outlet.

In reality, neither method would be technically wrong IMO.

1.Living in California (as I do) you may NOT be subject to calamitous electrical thunder&lightning storms; and hopefully have a reliable power utility both winter and summer for constant voltage delivery and least amount of nuisance outages.

2.In such instance, plugging a powerful amp such as your 7-chl B&K, directly to the wall outlet poses minimal risk. The amp has more than a couple of built-in protections from heat, overload, power supply anomalies, fuses or resets etc etc. As a result, you’ll see a number of amp makers with sufficient confidence in their behemoths that direct plug-in is OK. The flip side of course, is plugging into a wimpish surge/power center may indeed be power limiting.

3. Panamax 5500 is their near flagship- coming with an isolation xfmr to reduce noise input for digital sources. The two Hi-Current banks Panamax claims are non power (filter) limiting and ostensibly AOK for your B&K amp.

Anyway, so-called amplifier power limiting (a bugaboo for audiophiles) really isn’t in play until systems are taxed LOUD.

Your experience of 7 amp loads is OPTIMUM – system and circuit hardly being worked out. It’s only when one starts drawing 10-11 amps that the electrical system begins to be taxed. That’s why most HT enthusiasts without a lot of custom gear can get by on 15A home circuits. 20A dedicated circuits are then gravy!

Hope this discussion helps (I see you’d signed AWAY. Are you back on forum now? :)

bill

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
It’s unclear to me what options puzzle you; perhaps you mean B&K amplifier plugged into Panamax 5500 or directly into wall outlet.
yeah, that's what I meant...and thanks for sharing your thoughts. There seems to be a "believe" within the audioheads community that plugging power amps to HTPS restraint the dynamic, hence inadvisable. And then, there is also a believe within the custom installers that it is a myth and all gears should be have one point of electrical entry for maximum protection.
My curiosity is around whether I can disprove the point. All else being equal, I will leave my amp connected to the Pana, but if somebody has direct experince with this and can vouch that they notice *difference* in audio quality, then I am willing to try them out to experience it myself, and then decide whether it's worthed (takes a bit of work behind the cabinet to run another set of power cord)

I've been on prowl mode for the past couple months :) so something must had happened on the cookie, since I don't even know why am I marked for being away...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks