Is the Pioneer VSX-43TX Too Much for My Paradigms?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brent_N, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

I tacked this question on to one of my recent posts, but this probably deserves a separate thread, so here goes...

I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX, and I plan to use it with the following setup:

Paradigm Mini-Mk3 fronts (purchased circa 1996)
    Paradigm CC-300 center (purchased circa 1996)
    Paradigm Titan surrounds (new). See here for specs.
    Paradigm PDR-10 sub (new). See here for specs.

The Mini-Mk3 is rated at 80 watts maximum input power with a suitable amplifier power range between 15 and 100 watts. The Titan is rated at 60 watts maximum input power with a suitable amplifier power range between 15 and 100 watts.

Does the 43TX put out too much power for these speakers (100 watts/channel x 7 @ 0.09 THD)? Any problem with driving them at the top of their recommended power range?

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

No, it's fine. In fact, ideally the receiver should always have more power than what the speakers can handle. This prevents distortion/clipping/etc from happening and ruining your speakers when you trun the volume up.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Heck no!

Don't worry about watts. They mean nothing, to a point.
    Did you know when you listen to the stereo at mild levels you are probably using about 10 watts?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ideed too much power is ALWAYS better. Clipping by underpowering speakers is usually far more dangerous. You CAN, still, however, overdrive your speakers if you play insanely loud. Just don't go crazy with the volume knob is all.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Should be fine. Just because your amp states 100wpc, doesn't mean it is delivering it at all times. I'm using Titans as surrounds with 120wpc and I have no problems at all.