What's new

Is the Pioneer really "bright" (1 Viewer)

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
I’m sorry to bring this subject up again, but... I own klipsch 10.5 mains. I find them to be a little harsh at higher frequencies and am trying to pick a good receiver, it not to tame this certainly not magnify it. I have been really interested in the Pioneer 45TX but have read the following statement in another thread.
"...
Warm: Marantz, HK
Neutral: Onkyo, Integra
Bright: Yamaha, Pioneer

And my definitions of the above..

Bright is in your face, edgy but not so much as to cause
sibilance. Just really energetic on the High Frequencies.

Warm is calm, not drawing too much attention to it's self.
If I were to use women a anlogy a warm woman would be one
who doesn't need the fancy dress or makeup to look good and
she treates you right.

Neutral is somewhere inbetween both of the above. This is
the woman i'd marry if I used the above analogy. ..."

Does this really hold true? Will I be more likely to magnify the high end freq? I have also read other post that stated that these classifications are overstated and its not that hard to get any receiver (in the same price range) to sound just like the other brand. Should I try to stay away from the 45TX? (I like the 45TX mainly be cause of the auto MCAAC stuff and the base management)

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Richard:

I generally agree with the charecterizations you quote from another thread, although I don't find the Onkyos all that neutral. Nevertheless, they are generall true. But you are looking at a Pioneer Elite receiver, which is different from the regular Pioneer line. The Pioneer Elite line has long tried to emulate the sound of tube amplifiers, which are very warm. In that sense, they are very much a different brand from Pioneer.

I would also agree that your Klipsch speakers are on the bright side, so the 45TX should be a good match. I actually think it will help to tame the harshness that you have detected in your speakers. I would also consider the Harman/Kardons for those speakers, but you should audition a receiver in your home if at all possible before you commit to buying.

Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't find the Elite line to be bright at all. With my limited auditioning, the 43 and 41 sounded a bit flat, while the 45 and up seemed relatively neutral.

I would consider H/K, Marantz, NAD, Rotel with Klipsch.

Lee M T

Second Unit
I didn't find my old Pioneer to be bright at all, quite the contrary. But, it was a much older model. About ten years or so. One thing I can tell you though, it was sorely underpowered. I paid the same price for my old Pio and my new Yammie. The Pio had 65 more watts per channel (Stereo, I don't have surrounds yet) than my new Yammie, but it actually seems the other way around. Most people think the Yammie to be bright. But I don't see it that way, in my case; however. It just seem to make my CV's much clearer, by way of the extra power one would assume.

Note: The Pio I had was not an Elite. Could make a major difference on that power issue, also the fact that mine was a much older model as well.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Klipsch Ref 3II setup, and use the 45tx with them.
I love the way they mate together, a very pleasing sound.
However, you might want to wait until the new Elites are released supposedly later this month...
The 53tx and 55tx both have 9 band equalizers for the auto-MCACC as opposed to the 5 band on the 45.
It is also unclear (more than just the numbers matter) as to which unit is the replacement for the 45 (which has been discontinued).
It is my understanding that the 55 is basically the 53 with the iLink, but I suppose no one will actually know until the actual specs are released.
All of the info provided comes from the press release, so not much info is out there yet.

BTW:the 53 mrsp is 1500 and the 55 is 1700 i beleive.
Just to give you an idea, the 53 should street right at around 800 when released.:emoji_thumbsup:

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the feedback. I have heard about the 53tx but was startled by the msrp, I keep forgetting that is not actual price. I seems the consensus that the Elites, along with several other brands, will work out with the Klipsch.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You may wish to consider placing something, like a large, thick, woven wall hanging (assuming you don't want to buy/make an acoustic panel) at the first reflection points on the two side walls which may make the Klipsch less fatiguing to your ears.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Chu,
In my experience with Klipschs its very difficult if not impossible to tame their brightness/shrillness. Horn loaded tweeters are just that way and you either love them or hate them.

The Elites as of late should be enough current to drive your Klipschs and from the last listening I did I didn't find them bright at all. Yamahas however I did find bright and fatiguing.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well I agree they're not for everybody but then why buy a speaker that wasn't for you? playing around with determining if mitigating first order reflections by tacking up some heavy blankets is a pretty easy thing to do.
different speakers for different peepers and all that.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's a damned honest answer there Richard. Give the wall hanging approach a go and if your floors are hard some kind of carpeting. Then there's the possibility of doing something with the back walls. One thing about Klipsch is they don't need much power to annoy your neighbors. BTW you can determine where your first reflection point is by sitting down in your listening position and then having someone slide a mirror along the wall until you can see yourself. Then it's a matter of how much of that area needs or can be covered to soften things up so to speak.

James USAF

Agent
I have the 45TX and friggen love it. I personally do not like bright sounding system...and this 45TX with the following speaker combo...sounds well...friggen great!!

All Athena Speakers---
Front Lt/Rt > AS-F2
Center > AS-C1
Surround Lt/Rt > AS-B2
Surrond Back(s) > AS-B1

To me the sound is neutral...neither in your face nor laid back.

I for one...am very pleased with my new HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks