What's new

Is the Pioneer 1014 overkill for my 5.1 setup? (1 Viewer)

Christopher-M

Auditioning
My Toshiba 6109-C receiver/dvd player just died and I have to buy a replacement. Though it's only about 60 watts/channel, I've been very satisfied with its 5.1 setup and sound for my home theater. I was hoping to replace it with a ~$200 unit. I don't plan to add any more speakers and it will be used for watching movies only (not music).

In reading this forum, everyone is VERY enthusiastic about the Pioneer 1014, but I just wonder if this is overkill for my needs. It certainly costs more than I had planned, but I'd do it if there's a noticable sound difference.(I plan to find one locally to try and hear the difference, but until then...)

Might a Pioneer 514 sound about the same?

Would love to hear your opinions--especially from those of you who may have made a similar upgrade.

And, if there is a better solution for my 5.1 setup, I'd love to hear it.

TIA!

Christopher-M

Auditioning

I'm using Cambridge Soundworks speakers--one of the Movieworks packages, but can't remember which (it was about $350 and highly recommended here at the time--about 7 years ago). I later added their 10" powered subwoofer, too. They still sound excellent to my ear.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I have the same speakers as my surrounds, and the newer (current) Newton series as fronts and center speakers, with the same subwoofer for our bedroom and family room setups.

I'm using the Pioneer 1014 with these, and I'm very happy with the sound, both for music and HT. The MCACC almost alone makes this a worthy receiver at this pricepoint, IMO.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
In the $200 range you might want to try the pure-digital JVC RX-F10, it's $230 shipped from amazon.com

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'd look at used gear here in the for sale forum and in other similar ones around the internet. People have been ditching very nice 5.1 gear for years to get 6.1 and 7.1 stuff. You can find really great stuff for really cheap.

If you're totally sold on somehting new, I agree with Eddie, look for the new digital amp receivers.

Lastly, somewhere in between is refurbished gear. Lots of great deals to be had.

IMO yes, the Pioneer 1014 is overkill for you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to say no it's not.

Always buy the most full featured, best performance you can afford.

Now, one person recently posted about a Denon 5700 for $200!!! Now that sort of deal, would certainly have me going for that one over a 1014 / 1015 at that price / performance level.

Christopher-M

Auditioning

Wow, I've been looking into this since your post and it looks like this might be exactly what I need. I'm going to wait a couple weeks for the new JVC RX-201 to come out, as it looks like it might be slightly better for a little less...but I'll wait to see the reveiws. I can get their matching DVD player for pretty cheap, too.

Much appreciated!

RyanJE

Second Unit
Actually I asked him "whats with the $4000000 stick"?

Then he was a real D!ck when he wrote back and claimed he "charged my Paypal account $50", ok dude. So I did report him. Im so childish.:D

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
nothing is overkill cause someday you might want to upgrade your speakers and when you do you will have a decent receiver.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Christopher,

You're very welcome. Please let us know how you like whichever JVC digital receiver you end up buying.

I'm very curious how this technology evolves...imagine five years from now if it makes the kind of sound quality that you currently have to pay thousands of dollars for separates for, available for just a few measly hundred dollars! (drool drool drool)

Christopher-M

Auditioning
Well, hopefully, I'll be able to report back soon. It's horrible being without a system, but I want to wait until the new one comes out to test it. It was scheduled for a March 2005 release, so it should be any day now. I know J&R is taking preorders on some of these units, so I have my hopes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks