What's new

Is the PB2+ fast enough to keep up with techno and rap music? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Ja

Agent
I currently have a HSU VTF-2 and I have decided to up grade. My choices are the Martin and Logan Descent, James loud speaker EMB-1000/1500 or the SVS PB2+. My room is about 2400 cubic ft. Now I know all of these subs will kick ass in the home theater area but I still listen to a lot of rap and techno. Now two of the selling points of the descent is it's transparency and quickness. Can the PB2+ match the descent in these areas? If so it could save me close to $1500.00. Bonus question, I used to have a paradigm PS-1000 which was boomy, but I really liked it for techno and rap. I read on a post that one could get an eq and over emphasis the frequencys in the 30hz/40hz area to simulate that type of sound. Is that true? Cause if so great. Thank you all for your input. You're guys advice have practically built my home theater. :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The term "quickness" or "fast bass" is really a misnomer in subwoofer parlance. If the woofer can play the frequency in question, then it's "fast enough" by definition. Woofer speed is really a bandwidth limitation more than anything else.

Group delay of the PB2+ in the frequency region you are discussing (30-40 Hz) is probably in the low single millisecond range and will not be audible.

Check over at AVS for the impressions of a PB2+ owner who has owned dual HSU TN1220 and also demo'd the ML Descent, among others. PM the AVS thread poster if you want more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=316848

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If the question is: "Can the SVS be made to sound bad enough with eq to sound good with techno and rap?", the answer is "yes".

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, yes, yes, absolutely yes. It will shake your room, house and who knows what else. :)

But I wonder if the sub is capable of more dBs in the "upper" frequency ranges, 40Hz or so... A nice high pass filter, amp to eleven... PARTEEEEE. :)

Patrick Ja

Agent
If the question is: "Can the SVS be made to sound bad enough with eq to sound good with techno and rap?", the answer is "yes".
Exactly!!:) I know it sounds crazy but I want that "bad" bass when I listen to my rap and techno. When I put on a movie or feel like listening to Anita Baker or Sade I want something more accurate. I will be placing my order this week!! Man you guys are smart.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

You have to take that comment in the context of where it's posted; this forum. MOST folks here are audiophiles or wanna-be-but-don't-have-the-money.

Patrick Ja

Agent
not "music" per se. The comment is just a snide swipe at a "lower lifeform" of music.
You are so right. I am sometimes afraid to let people know that I listen to rap in this forum. I just picture guys holding there nose in the air when I mention it.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
So, that means the demands for a good subwoofer suitable for those kinds of music is not as high as say, jazz?

Which are recommended subwoofers then, based on experience, for that kind of music?

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
in my expirience, and IMO rap and techno do not demand a
"musical" sub as much as other types of music. i'm sure someone else could go into more detail on this.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Patrick, if the Descent is in your price range, what about the B4+ from SVS?

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
I saw somebody say once that synthetizers produce the lowest bass notes...and electronic music is purely synths...

does that mean something?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I took this comment to mean that with an EQ you could exaggerate the frequency response ("bad" bass) in the regions where much of rap's beats lie, not as a knock on rap music. I could be wrong, but that's how I took it.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

You said it better than I did, Robb Roy. That's one of the things I was trying to stammer out...didn't happen. :b

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The point was you don't need to spend thousands if that's the kinda bass you after.Any "one note" sub will do!:D

Geno

Supporting Actor
I would like an explination of a "fast" sound

Shouldnt the thread say:

Does the PB2+ have a good enough structure and motor mechanism to keep up with techno and rap music?

I would hope subs would want to go slower, i.e. a LOWER frequency? maybe im taking this way too literaly but
I would say a 15" @ 40 Hz is moving faster than a 15" @ 20Hz. Or am I mistaken, does the cone travel increase with lower frequencies? And if that is true then does the travel directly relate to the frequency at which the driver is moving at?

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
You are so right. I am sometimes afraid to let people know that I listen to rap in this forum. I just picture guys holding there nose in the air when I mention it.
I'm right there with ya. I wouldn't even mention it when I was asking for speaker and receiver advice. The first time I did mention I listened to hip hop, I got no replies. Then i went to the old percentages game, 80% HT and 20% music, I got some responses. "I listen to rap, is Marantz a good musical receiver?" or "do Paradigms have a full bodied sound that's well detailed and with a wide soundstage? I want to hear the gun shot effects and clear raspyness of Notorious BIG's voice" isn't going to get many replies around here and other audiophile boards. ;)

on topic- my PDR-10 performs quite well for my music needs. I think I may upgrade slightly and get the PW2200 tho when I upgrade my Titans to Monitor 7s.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I would like an explination of a "fast" sound
That means no "overhang".It's not how fast the driver moves but how fast it "stops".This is where motor strenght comes into play,and the reason why driver size alone,isn't all that relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks