1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Paradigm PW-2200 too much?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jay lemons, Aug 3, 2002.

1. jay lemons

jay lemons Agent

I am looking at purchasing the Paradigm Mini Monitors and the CC-370 center. My question is this, is the PW-2200 too big for this system? Can you get too big? Just curious. Thanks

2. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Too big, Too much? NEVER! I have a dual SVS 20-39cs+/Samson combo in a 12x12 room! Why not go with a 20-39pci?

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Definately won't be too much.

What are you going to be paying for it. Unless it is significantly less than an SVS PCi or Adire Dharman I wouldn't be considering it. The PW2200 can be a great deal if you live in Canada, but Paradigm's pricing policy makes it too expensive in the States.

4. jay lemons

jay lemons Agent

Dustin, I am looking at the floor model PW-2200. The price is 549.00 which is a little cheaper than the Dharman. Have you heard the Dharman? Does the PW-2200 compete with the Dharman if the price is right?

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Too big? Subwoofers aren't too big or too small for other speakers. If anything. They are big or small in relation to your room. How big or small is your room? I have a 12 x 14.25 foot room and my Mirage BPS-400 is a little on the large size. In order to have flat response, I have to put it quite far out from the wall.

6. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I agree with all of the above. In fact you'll often here the need of a sub to complement small speakers. Even if your room is small if you have room for a large sub I would buy it. I would go with the best sub you can afford cause you most likely won't be upgrading it. Volume is something that can be turned down so don't worry about it. Just make sure the sub sounds good to you.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I haven't heard the Dharman, but I've built a very similar sub using the PE clone of the Shiva. The Dharman will have a decided advantage on sub 30hz output. Above 30hz the Dharman will just have a slight advantage (according to Nousaine's numbers).

The lower tune and larger enclosure of the Dharman will also result in it having a cleaner tighter sound.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Even if a large subwoofer has more gain than you want below 30 hz in a small room, which is what I notice with mine, you can get an EQ and tone it down, lowering distortion and gaining headroom, if you can't solve the problem with placement. If you have a small subwoofer to start with and its not enough, then thats it, you're stuck with it or buy a bigger subwoofer.

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>The Dharman will have a decided advantage on sub 30hz output. Above 30hz the Dharman will just have a slight advantage (according to Nousaine's numbers).

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I got this from the list you posted on AVS Tom.

Paradigm PW2200 - 107.4 / 20hz~91(112.8dB peak)

And the Dharman was - 107.9 / 20hz~96(114.6dB peak)

When I measured the dimensions of a PW2200 I estimated it's tuning point at 30hz. Stuffing may take this down as low as 27hz. The 22hz tune of the Dharman would be what allows it to pull away in the last octave not?

11. Tom Vodhanel

I always use the last(most recent) data collected by TN. That list must have been a pretty old one. Can't say I've had time to keep with the TN stuff much lately anyway [​IMG]
    the data you quoted was April 1999(soundvision)
    the new stuff is from August 2001 (soundvision)...which is already a year old now....sheessh...time flies.
    just splitting hairs either way though. If we had a T-REX step at 107.4,107.9,or 108dBs...I doubt one from the other is really going to stand out very much. The FR differences would probably make for a very audible difference though.
    TV

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Agreed, which is why I said the above 30hz difference would be slight. Last octave difference between the two isn't slight though.

FR wise, your guess is better than mine (as long as you don't say the PW2200 will be better than a Dharman FR wise :p)).

13. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Jay, I say if you can get a PW-2200 for $549...BUY IT!!

I bought one about 4 months ago, and am extremely happy with it. My other speakers are Monitor 7's (front), CC-350 (center), and Monitor 3's (rear). I have a large room, (20' X 24'), and it fills it with enough sound that when I use the low frequency sweep on my Avia setup disc, my back wall vibrates from about 35Hz all the way down to 20Hz.

$549 is a great buy on a PW-2200. The PW-2200 is a great sub.

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I wouldn't buy a PW-2200 for $549 if I knew I could find a Mirage BPS-400 for $650.00 or less, which you should be able to do. Look for the Mirage for $600.00 ish USD.
    125 dB @ 18 hz in room [​IMG]

15. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It what size room Chris? Even in a tiny room one meter from the sub I really don't think you'd get anywhere near 125dB at 18hz with a respectible THD number.

16. Tom Vodhanel

>>>125 dB @ 18 hz in room

17. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I researched this as well...

The 2200 is a great sub... for about $100 more CNDN, the 20-39 PCi is a nominally better sub... the only thing you would be sacrificing in Canada is the difficulty with transport for warranty.

Servo 15 is priced out of these two's range.

18. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah well the specs are not all they are made out to be. I still say for a decent sized room, the Mirage BPS-400 beats the PW-2200. I have heard both, and even before I bought my BPS-400, when I was considering the Servo 15, PSB Sub 7 and other subs, I still felt the Mirage BPS-400 was noticably better than the PW-2200. I'd get a SVS 25-31 before I'd buy a PW-2200. Here's a list of subwoofers I'd buy:
    Mirage BPS-400
    Servo 15
    SVS 20-39
    PSB Stratus Sub 7
    There you go dude. I heard the PW-2200 and it just doesn't do it for me. I am not keen on the sound....however, its been over a year since I've heard one, so out of curiosity, I'll give one another listen if I have the opportunity. I'd rather listen to some other subs though [​IMG]

19. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer