What's new

Is the Panasonic rp91 the best dvd player in its price range? (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I am going shopping this weekend for a dvd player and I am wondering if the Panasonic rp91 is the best progressive player out there in its price range.
I need some help with this one, I know for sure I don't want a player with the "chroma bug" but there are players with different chips that perform better than others in some respects(main goal for me is picture quality) and maybe some of you guys can help me on this one and tell me about any new choices I might have. I went to the search engine but some of the threads are pretty old and some new players may be out that are worth considering.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Luis, the 'RP91 has been regarded as the best progressive-scan player in its price range by many for quite awhile. However, the Denon DVD-1600 for $500 has been getting high marks lately. It shows no chroma bug, and based on what I have read, I would expect it to beat the Panasonic in the audio department.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The RP91 is a great player, and many feel it is the best player at double the price. I love my 91 and definitly recommend it. However, Panasonic has recently released the RP62 and will soon release the RP82. You may want to research the features of these two new players as they will be considerably less expensive than the 91. If money is not an object, try the 91. It gives you great control of pitcure quality, does dvd-audio, and does dvd-ram. and offers scaling on non-anamaphoric dvd's. I'm not sure if the 82 does this or not. So if money is not an object and you want a high level of control of picture settings, try the 91. If you just want a great progressive scan player without all the extra featuers, look further into the 62 and 82.

Luis M

Second Unit
KeithH, Thanks for your reply. I also heard that the Denon has bass management that the panasonic lacks but the video features for me are more important than anything else and I wonder if the denon has the flexibility that the Panasonic has regarding the aspect ratios when it comes to none-anamorphic dvds? Thank you.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Luis, I am currently testing the panny rp91 and the sony ns900v I am replacing my sony ns700v I was happy with the picture but wanted either dvd-a or sacd so here I am. I had origially tested the rp56 against the ns700 and obviously I picked the sony I thought it had a better overall picture! after reading so much hype on the rp91 I was expecting to be blown away! but the 900v is holding its own but well see. I will post my thoughts in a few days after I have spent more time with both units;)
Bob

Luis M

Second Unit
greg_t, I will go this friday to get it and the price may be close to $400.00 from an authorized dealer so those two dvd players you mention will not make it on time. I guess the panasonic remains king at this price point. thank you.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Luis, no problem. I am not sure how flexible the '1600 is on the video side. The picture quality is supposedly excellent, as is the audio performance. That's all I really know about it. Note that the '1600 has no coaxial digital output, which is generally an expected feature on $500 DVD players, as well as many players costing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks