Is the Panasonic 53X54 the best price/performance TV on the market? I think so!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnKings, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just got back from looking at the 53X54 again. This time it was next to the new Hitachi 57S715 and the winner is...
    The Panasonic 53X54 by a nose. The showroom was running HDnet on all of the TVs and with both tvs set up similarly, The panasonic was slightly sharper. The only area I could find where the Hitachi seemed to prevail was convergence. The blue gun seemed to be a little more finely focused on the hitachi (this of course produced a purple hew, but it was unnoticable from 10 feet). The difference in convergence accuracy wasn't significant, but the price sure was - $1,329 vs. $2,359.

I will say that the new Sony's look great as well.

Again, I am constantly amazed at how good this TV is. There is no better TV for the money. I can't wait until mine is delivered.

JK

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

And it should look better still after you put some sweat into it and tweak it.

REgards

3. JohnKings

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

no, don't do this to me... I just finished about 5 weeks of painstakingly analysing a bunch of CRT RPTVs in the 51" range. The Panasonic wasn't even glanced at. Don't tell me I missed the boat here!

Michael as an ISF Calibrationist what do you think? Is this TV in the caliber of Toshiba 51HFX83, 51HFX83, Hitachi 51S500 etc? Better?

After calibaration in ideal setting, which one gives you the best picture?

5. JohnKings

Rolando:

Please do yourself a favor and see this TV before you buy. I have compared it to everything and for the $$ this TV can not be touched. The picture is spectatcular and the geometry and convergence out of the box were the best I have seen. I have been through the Hitachi S500, S700 and the Mits Diamond series and they do not offer a noticably better picture. In fact, as hard as it may be to believe, I actually am certain that the Panny offers better peformance with standard non-hd cable sources.

John