What's new

Is the original Law & Order coming back! (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't want the early years cast back... I want more of the season 20 cast.

Best cast they had since Jerry Orbach died.

Of course, Anthony Anderson is pretty much off limits since Blackish is a hit, and S. Epatha Merkerson was already on the way out the door after season 20.

But, hey, reuniting Cutter, McCoy, and Rubirosa on the Order side would be great.

NBC was stupid to cancel the show in the first place. But, NBC has often stood for "no brain cells" this decade.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ugh, this show should have died in the 90s, or at least when Jerry Orbach left. In the end, the only thing that kept L&O going was Dick Wolf's insane quest to get revenge on CBS (the network that passed on L&O back in 1988) by overtaking John Meston as creator of the longest running prime time drama in television history.

Of course, by that point, audiences had had enough of recycled "ripped from the headlines" plots, revolving door cast of forgettable cyphers, and Sam Waterson's perpetual frown. And yet... SVU survives, despite being the "What Lifetime movie of the week has Benson wandered into this time?!?"-show for years now with the dumbest twist endings on television.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would be on board for this. Like any long running episodic drama, there are bound to be seasons that weren't as strong as others. That doesn't mean the show couldn't be revived, updated and still entertaining.

I wouldn't even mind an appearance by Eames from L&O: Criminal Intent. Goren would be a fun cameo, too, but I doubt that they could get D'Onofio to agree. Lupo (from the last few seasons) would be another good return. With Jesse now on THE FLASH, I doubt we would see a return of Greene.

But I would totally be up for a return of L&O. Maybe it could become a regular 'summer series' for NBC?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
I have always found the Law And Order franchises to be shows I can only sample episodes of rather than watch all of. That said, I have seen next to nothing of the final four years when Rene Balcer went into nutso overdrive with his ideological agendas. Not that agendas weren't present in earlier seasons but once Fred Thompson was gone from the show, that seemed like an excuse to just push the envelop as far in one direction as possible. If a revival dialed that back, I'd be willing to give it a chance but not if it was going to be like it was at the end when I was rooting for it *not* to surpass "Gunsmoke."

Personally, I always preferred the original group of Dzunda/Sorvino-Noth-Florek-Moriarty-Brooks-Hill. I have always found Waterston annoying beyond belief. And Jerry Orbach IMO was more suited to a role like Harry McGraw than as Briscoe IMO if you were going to make him a series lead.

Hmm, maybe a revival could finally spring Profaci loose from jail? :)

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
Jack P said:
I have always found the Law And Order franchises to be shows I can only sample episodes of rather than watch all of. That said, I have seen next to nothing of the final four years when Rene Balcer went into nutso overdrive with his ideological agendas. Not that agendas weren't present in earlier seasons but once Fred Thompson was gone from the show, that seemed like an excuse to just push the envelop as far in one direction as possible. If a revival dialed that back, I'd be willing to give it a chance but not if it was going to be like it was at the end when I was rooting for it *not* to surpass "Gunsmoke."

Personally, I always preferred the original group of Dzunda/Sorvino-Noth-Florek-Moriarty-Brooks-Hill. I have always found Waterston annoying beyond belief. And Jerry Orbach IMO was more suited to a role like Harry McGraw than as Briscoe IMO if you were going to make him a series lead.

Hmm, maybe a revival could finally spring Profaci loose from jail? :)
Agree with everything you said except for Jerry Orbach. Loved the Briscoe character, except for the 'my daughter's a drug addict' arc.

Had no problem with Waterston at first, but he grated on me as the years went by. And the one-sided politics turned me off too.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Lord Dalek said:
Ugh, this show should have died in the 90s, or at least when Jerry Orbach left. In the end, the only thing that kept L&O going was Dick Wolf's insane quest to get revenge on CBS (the network that passed on L&O back in 1988) by overtaking John Meston as creator of the longest running prime time drama in television history.

Of course, by that point, audiences had had enough of recycled "ripped from the headlines" plots, revolving door cast of forgettable cyphers, and Sam Waterson's perpetual frown. And yet... SVU survives, despite being the "What Lifetime movie of the week has Benson wandered into this time?!?"-show for years now with the dumbest twist endings on television.
Personally, I was never the fan of L&O to begin with. SVU being renewed for a 17th season doesn't help matters.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
bmasters9 said:
Personally, I was never the fan of L&O to begin with. SVU being renewed for a 17th season doesn't help matters.

It should be renamed Law & Order: Pervert of the Week.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I enjoyed L & O but can only watch it from time to time

I found it to be rather 'formularised' with often too smug detectives & utterly righteous 'holier than thou' legal bods !

(which rather grated on me a bit if I ever watched too many episodes in a row...)

Also I thought it was a bit 'Hollywood pretending to be so terribly fair' too - note that they introduced a few obligatory female characters just to include 'women' (this was apparently done

at NBC's insistence thus a couple of male actors got unfairly fired purely for being of the male gender ! - just imagine the fury unleashed if that happened to women ?)

....nevertheless for all the 'politically correct' fairness of at least two females - sometimes more - always thereafter being in the regular cast... the females brought were NEVER 'starring' in the credits, they only ever were supporting cast, and the 'revolving door' of (always) smart sexy, sassy, but in truth just 'dogsbody' ADA assistants (Jill/Carey/Angie/Elizabeth/Alyssia/Alana....!) who came, and went....while helping each actress profiles for their later careers of course did them few favours in the show itself re their characters (two were 'killed off', one was fired - and she suddenly was made 'gay' just for that episode !)

the one time they tried having a female detective (lovely Mia Govich) she was (of course) junior detective - and she lasted just the one season getting quite alot of 'fan flak' along the way...

the one female D.A. they had was purely temporary and although S. Epetha Markham was the longest running character as Police chief Anita Van Buren in truth she did little more in the stories than Lt. Uhura on 'Star Trek' ! (with just a few 'sassy lines' back at the station per episode - her only really substantial storyline being her - understandable - cancer nightmare scare right at the end...)

so the show itself wasn't THAT kind to women - nor to actors in general it seemed (per Chris Noth)

the stories did become too 'agenda obsessed' over time & the guest cast had nowhere near the character development shows of years ago had (compare it to 'Arrest & Trial'or 'The original Defenders' etc) thus it was often hard to remember episodes in any great detail....

I think the final two cast teams were pretty good in the last few seasons - Cutter as ADA with Connie Rubirosa & Jack McCoy as DA was probably the best legal team they had in yonks

Det. Lupo (Jeremy Sisto) was good too, if they got those four back (would Sam Waterson return tho ?) and made the stories less blatent 'agenda based' re politics, race, class, etc then

any return of L & O might be good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alain A.
Recent bookmarks