Is the OOP, Recalled, Unaltered version of The Devil's Advocate still very valuable?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Graham, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Hey guys, my brother just snagged the unaltered, recalled original version of The Devil's Advocate at a local game store for $6.99(!).

Last I knew, this thing was worth a lot of money, because the current version of this disc has the sculpture behind Al Pacino's desk obscured and digitally altered due to the sculptor of a very similar piece suing Warner Brothers.

Only problem is, nobody on eBay seems to have this listed anymore, so it's hard to know its value. Are there any places online that you can sell or auction rare DVDs, or at least get an appraisal on this things value?

2. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I found two that have sold on Ebay this month. One went for $9.95 and the other went for $16.69.

3. Doug Graham

Doug Graham Extra

Alright, it's about time I started posting on HTF. Brandon, were those advertised as being the original version, or did you just happen to notice it?

4. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

How do you tell the two apart?

5. Doug Graham

Doug Graham Extra

On the original version, there's an extra red box just above the copyright info that has a big legal disclaimer. It reads as follows:

"The large white sculpture of human forms on the wall of John Milton's penthouse in "Devil's Advocate" is not connected in any way and was not endorsed by the sculptor Frederick hart or the Washington National Cathedral, joint copyright owners of the Cathedral sculpture "Ex Nihilo" in Washington, D.C."

There's a crappy webcam picture of this at my blog if you want to check. It seems as though I got a bit over-excited with that blog entry. But I swear, last I knew the thing was worth at least a hundred bucks. What happened?!

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

$100? I have had 2 copies, the most I ever got out of them was $45.

I think reality has set in on that kind of stuff. The desire for the original version is just not that great for a film that is no longer a commodity itself.

7. Doug Graham

Doug Graham Extra

Thanks Vince. Apparently Nick and I's memories were clouded on the subject. Now I guess about the only holy grails of this type are some OOP Criterions and the original Little Shop of Horrors DVD.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Also, I would think, would be the 2 disc Halloween Limited Edition? I have an autograph inside of mine signed by Don Shanks who played Micheal Myers in Halloween 5.

The outer case of my copy of Titanic is signed by two TITANIC historians, Jack Eaton and Charles Haas which may be worth something down the line, but I wouldn't dream of parting with it though.

I guess the point is that there are dvd's out their that are valuable in some way to their owners because of special things like autographs and the like.

I also checked my Devils Advocate and its the newer one.

9. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I have a copy of this and it still plays fine as far as I know. At least the last time I watched it anyway. I remember there were issues with the early dual layer discs from Warner (Contact) but mine always played without problems.....I'll let it go for the right price!.....

10. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

Yeah, they were both listed at the original version. I did a search for completed items using the search words "Devil Advocate OOP".

11. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

The original DA part number was: 15090
    The repressed DA part number is: 16172

According to what I have read this number is on the box spine AND on the actual DVD itself.

The original DVD had problems with Playback. There were problems with specific players both with audio and lock up.

Also for LD collector's the LD is the unaltered version. It was determined that not enough copies were pressed to make it an issue since it was not going to be repressed - due to the DVD format.

12. Vincent Fok

Vincent Fok Agent

For those who has the unaltered Devil's Advocate DVD, does anyone have any playback problem with it?

I had 2 copies (1 brand new, 1 second-hand), when I play them on my Pioneer DVD Player the picture frame jitters every 5-10 seconds.

My second-hand copy works slightly better, and the jittering problem gets slightly reduced when I play it on my computer.

Funny thing is the problem doesn't occur in the Special Features (or one or two trailers but not the deleted scene - I can't remember exactly since it's been a while I popped this back in my player and I don't have the discs with me as I'm writing), so I presume it may have to do with the medium itself. But what are the chance of getting two bad discs of the same title?

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Lots of Warner titles had their weird flagging problem which made them twitch every 200 frames or so. Weirdest thing- I had to get rid of my original pressing of Blazing Saddles becuase it drove me up the wall.

-V

14. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

I remember looking for a while, and I saw copies that were *priced* at $90 or so, but I never saw one actually go for that much. (They may have, I didn't look that hard, since I wasn't *that* interested.)

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The same with my copy. [​IMG]

16. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I'm not sure what kind of demand the Halloween LE has, but I doubt it's too high. Like the Army of Darkness LE before it, the "exclusive content" on the second disc was later given its own seperate re-release, so that should probably have cooled down interest in the LEs.

17. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I own it along with an unopened, original Little Shop of Horrors (with the ending).
    I haven't checked eBay for their current values, maybe I should.

I don't remember any playback problems. I remember the big outcry was the deleted scenes not having any audio except the director's commentary.

18. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

how about a copy that seems to have DVD Rot right where the edited section is ????

The only DVD in my collection, that has this problem and it is right in the section where the afforementioned section is playing.

Now that is creepy ...

19. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

this was one of my first batch of dvds I got.
    I checked it this weekend its started up ok, but after an hour or so
    it locks up..multi coloered pixels pop up.. it really weird.
    the disc looks fine and there are no scratches..
    I can skip a few chapters and get to the end.. but a good chunk it damaged.
    I tried it on 3 different dvd players all different from when originally I bought the disc.
    is this dvd rot or is it a playback/flagging issue?
    will warner replace this disc?
    I feel so vulnerable, I never noticed a bad disc in my collection..

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It wasn't actually recalled, the agreement was that the first video printings could be unaltered (though there's a disclaimer inserted in the end credits that wasn't there originally) then all other printings had to be obscured. I bought the laserdisc because of the problems I'd heard of with the DVD, wish I'd picked up both now.