Is the old Panasonic A300 DVD player compatable with DTS via a DD/DTS reciever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LewisD, Sep 6, 2001.

1. LewisD

LewisD Extra

Hi, I just purchased a Kenwood VR 509 receiver(which has both DD5.1 and DTS decoding built in),and I'm still using my 4 year old Panasonic A300 DVD player...The A300 has an optical digital output, but is it safe to play DTS, even though DTS isn't recognized on the DVD player or in it's manual? I believe DTS is compatible with the A310, but is it compatible with the A300? Could there be possible damage to my system if I try a DTS soundtrack?
    Thanks.

2. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    You won't be able to listen to DTS DVD soundtracks, but DTS CDs should work. I'm not sure what would happen if you forcibly attempted to play a DTS DVD... at best you'd hear nothing, at worst you'd hear gibberish.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have an A300U still plugging away nicely. I use it mostly for music now, in my bedroom, but it is an excellent player and still has one of the best remotes ever. It will only do DD, no DTS. You will get no sound if you select DTS from a DVD menu, and thus will not do any damage.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I also am a A300 owner since 97, What a great machine! But again No it will not play the DTS track on dvds. I just bought a Panasonic 31 for $179. (far less than $599. the A300 was) to put in the main theater and the 300 will go to the bedroom. I am hoping I have skipped the Panasonic bad years with all the problems they had after the A300.
    Wes