What's new

Is the NFL finally being 'Canadianized?' (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
ignoramous speaking here, but how does the franchise system affect team loyalties?
Now this is a much harder question that it might seem Yee-Ming.

First, consider why you are still an Arsenal fan. Since you live in SE Asia, there is not much of a reason not to remain an Arsenal fan. Even if they moved, would you care? Likely not, though you might. And as they have played well enough overall to not be relegated, they are still on TV in Singapore so you can continue to follow the team. How would you feel, if they were not in the Premier League? Would you still follow them?

Next, consider most fans (not only in England) of football. (What I am about to write may generate some controversy.) I’d make the case that we are a more (geographically) mobile society in the States than England (I exclude the expats). And many fans of football are quite provincial, caring never to move. You grow up in one place and continue to follow the team where you first gave your loyalties. This is as true for a fan of Real Madrid as it is for Arsenal as it is for La Boca Juniors (Maradonna’s home club, if you care). And since the fans don’t move and the clubs don’t move, it is easy to always barrack for the same team.

But here, many of us move—and often move a lot. Which makes it easier to switch loyalties. For example, I usually tend to follow the home town team, because it is in the news and on TV, if for no other reason. I may well continue to follow the teams associated with places where I lived before, but as the players change, so to does my affiliation. And this is speeded up by the (recent) way that players go from team to team. In the example of the Baltimore Colts, Johnny Unitas was their QB for as long as he played. And was known as the leader of the Colts by everyone who followed the game. Who now (outside of those in Indianapolis) care at all about the QB of the Colts? Will he even be the same next year?

So we move, the teams move and the players move. None of this makes for the same loyalties as exist in Premier League football. Can anyone imagine David Beckham playing for anyone other than Manchester United? And for Manchester United being anyplace other than Manchester? Of course not. And if Beckham were to be sold, it would be news of the highest order.

On the flip side and in another sport (for us in the States), there are those in Brooklyn who still consider that it is properly the Brooklyn Dodgers. And they moved 50 years ago. All of our leagues have had a history of moving from city to city. Baseball teams moved well before the Dodgers. In basketball, the L.A. Lakers were first the Minneapolis Lakers, the Detroit Pistons were the Ft. Wayne Pistons and so on. Hockey is not quite so bad, as the original six still play in their original cities, but many of the other teams have moved—and some more than once.

For us, for right or wrong, it is more about money than tradition. And since that is true our loyalties are suspect and changeable.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
For us, for right or wrong, it is more about money than tradition. And since that is true our loyalties are suspect and changeable.
I don't know about it being "more about money than tradition", at least from the fans' POV. Expedience, perhaps - fans become fans of a specific team due in part to familiarity - I've lived in New England all my life, so the Boston teams have been on the local news, and they're the games I've gone to when I have the chance. Fortunately, they've stayed pretty stable for the past half-century.

I'm also fairly lucky that I've mainly followed baseball, which hasn't had a team move since (I think) the early seventies.

The NFL as an entity, really, isn't keen on setting down roots. Otherwise, it would be more difficult to extort new publicly-funded stadia from communities.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
insightful analysis, Lew.
I suppose you're right, Arsenal moving doesn't affect me today, since I'm already displaced by 8,000 miles or so (they are in fact planning to move to a new stadium -- half a mile away from the existing one). but to a lot of North Londoners it would be sacrilege. ironic, considering that Arsenal actually started in South London and moved in 1913, possibly the last time something like that took place in English football. of course, today Wimbledon FC wants to move 70 miles north to Milton Keynes, and the existing Wimbledon fans have reacted very badly, and have in fact set up a new club AFC Wimbledon which is presently playing about 9 divisions/levels below.
again, I think you've correctly pointed out that Americans move about quite a bit more than others might, which sort-of contributes to the mindset regarding moving sports teams as well. whereas the Brits might hold tradition more important? many sporting loyalties are handed down father to son (or daughter in this modern age).
to digress, though, when talking about things like Real Madrid v Barcelona, that's heavily loaded politically and regionally. and Rangers v. Celtic is a sectarian divide.
as for Boca Juniors, I've always wondered how Buenos Aires can support something like 6-8 top-flight clubs. (then again, come to think of it so does London.)
ManYoo outside Manchester? technically they are in Salford, but I suppose that's Greater Manchester. but yes, it would seem a bit odd if they moved closer down south, where they actually have a lot of fans (*mutters* bandwagon jumping gits...)
but ManYoo without Beckham? certainly possible. no one man is greater than his club, at least in European football. after all, as an example ManYoo legend Denis Law moved to cross-city rival Man City, and scored the goal that relegated ManYoo in 1974 (not exactly accurate, but you get the idea).
especially in this modern, more mercenary day. the days of one-club men like Tony Adams are probably gone. there's talk of ManYoo selling Ryan Giggs, so I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years Beckham moves to Serie A or La Liga. although a move to Liverpool is probably unlikely.
as to your question, would I support Arsenal if they were relegated (perish the thought, 84 years without relegation, not going to happen :D ), yes I would. it's a bit too ingrained in me to even consider switching. in the mid 80s they were crap, although not in danger of relegation, and I didn't waver. 20 years later, well, old habits die hard...
"fortunately" today, with the Internet, it's even easier for displaced fans to follow their teams. so even with reduced coverage on television, there'd still be a fair amount of information available from other sources.
but I do wish I could go to live games. I've been to about 8 at Highbury on occasional trips to London. loved every minute of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks