Is the NFL finally being 'Canadianized?'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Overduin, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

With Canadians Celine Dion singing "God Bless America," and Shania Twain doing a half-time show, I wonder why the NFL wouldn't make the next logical move to canadianizing the NFL game as well?
    With pussy rules like 4 down ball, smaller fields, fair catches, not having to take the ball out of the end zone without surrendering points, etc., etc., the NFL game rarely equals the offensive output and athleticism required in the Canadian game, where the ball is always on the move, there are few drives with more than 10 plays, and you don't have time to go shopping like you do with NFL football, with drives often lasting up to 10 minutes.
    I look forward to what promises to be another lack lustre display of NFL football on Jan 26.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

You sound like a fan of the (now-defunct) XFL.
    See, there's another half of pro football called "defense". [​IMG]

3. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

I like the Canadian Football League (CFL) game better too....except the cheerleaders. The NFL rules in that department. [​IMG]
    Dave

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

There is a old saying that Defense wins championships.
    I believe that the NFL is balanced in this department.
    There are some outstanding D teams such as Miami, Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc.
    The D is essential to any football league otherwise the game becomes basketball on the field. The super bowls however have become better and better every year since the Niner's blow out of Denver.
    Parity is the goal of the NFL. Where any team on any Sunday can beat any other team. Fans have no clue as to who will be going to the Super Bowl in the first 15 weeks of the season although by then the Cinncy's have been eliminated.
    The rules you want to implement take away from key moments of the game. What about the guy who works very very hard to become a punt returner gunner who fights 2 men to get to the returner?
    I really think the NFL is fine the way it is with only a few tweaks then and again are necessary, I'd say the sell out crowds and extremely high TV ratings are evidence while I'm sure the CFL's ratings and crowds are evidence of their league as well. I'm not knocking the CFL, it gives the NFL players who aren't ready for the NFL yet a place to develop.
    I'm sure it is every player's dream in the CFL to make it to the NFL.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Well to be fair Celine Dion and Twain have both been Americanized. It's not long beore the rest of Canada & their sports will follow. [​IMG] I don't think I've seen a game of CFL, has anyone outside of Canada? I'd like to compare the 2 but I don't know how the pace/strategy goes for both games.

7. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Mmm, Super Bowl... Wait a minute. You mean there's a football game in between the cool commercials?!

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

10. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

A big problem with the NFL is the stupid rules they come up with. Penalized for "excessive celebration"? Come on, I know the "big" thing in liberal society right now is to not offend anyone or make them feel "bad", but don't they remember how popular the Icky Shuffle, the Dirty Bird, the Superbowl Shuffle video, and other trademark celebrations were? Next thing you know, players will be flagged for telling each other good job after a score because it might hurt the other team's morale. And don't get me started on a team being penalized for the crowd's noise.

Chris

11. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I agree that celebration should be a part of the game if the player desires to do it, it makes the game exciting and fun to watch.

However, players such as Barry Sanders were very classy after making a TD as if it were just a part of the game or something.

If the opposing team doesn't want to see a outrageous celebration then they should allow that player into the endzone.
    The NFL does need to relax those rules although I don't think they will since the XFL did so much to lower game standards.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"I'm sure it is every player's dream in the CFL to make it to the NFL."
    If only for the money!
    If all things were equal I think the CFL would be a little stronger than the NFL
    If a game ends 27-20 I am usually quite satisfied, but when some games end 7-0 or 7-3 or 10-7 I just get bored
    Maybe it's just me though[​IMG]
    Brent

14. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

If a game ends 7-0 then either one of two things has happened:
    1. Ugly penalty plagued game.
    2. Defensive duel.

I like to watch 2.

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I, as a Canadian, profusely apologize for unleashing Bryan Adams, Shania Twain, Celine Dione, Avril Lavigne, William Shatner, Loreena McKennitt, Margot Kidder, yadda-yadda-yadda on the unsuspecting American public, in direct contravention of the United Nations Charter, the Helsinki Accord, the Soviet-German Non-aggression Pact, NAFTA, and the Geneva Convention.

We will gratefully allow UN inspectors to visit our shopping malls and convenience stores so that these horrible tragedies will never happen again.

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

17. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Tell you what: We'll give you back the NHL, the Canadian bacon on our pizzas, and all the Canadian singers and actors and comedians. In exchange, you bite your tongue about American football, and stay out of my way when you're on Interstate 75 migrating to and from Florida.

18. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Sounds good Wayne. Where do I sign??? [​IMG]

19. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yeah anything to get our beloved national pastime back.[​IMG]

20. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter