What's new

Is the newest (MGM) release of Silkwood anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have seen conflicting reports re this, but I haven't found a review. If this release is NOT anamorphic, then it's IMO actually an inferior release to the original one. I was looking around again today for reviews and one of the places that previously said that it WAS anamorphic AND a new transfer, today does not say that.

Assuming it's not anamorphic: Don't you think it's kinda BS to re-release (though new to MGM) something in an inferior version? It's not like it's really cheap either, though it's cheaper than normal...I should have known there would be "issues". This movie deserves MUCH better. I'm torn on whether to return this disc...the circumstances are awkward, but I should get rid of it on principle, even if it costs me money. And no wonder there aren't any reviews.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I'm not sure but the info I saw somewhere said it was same as the old one, nonanamorphic.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I think it is safe to assume that any ABC movie previously released by Anchor Bay that MGM reissues on disc will use the exact same master, and will likely duplicate the previous disc in all ways except packaging. Which means IMPULSE is still pan/scan, and the letterboxed titles are non-anamorphic.

Wasn't Disney claiming that MGM were going to do a "better" job of presenting these movies than Anchor Bay did? Obviously, that was a joke.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
AB Silkwood was stereo, the MGM one is mono, and the AB disc had a P&S version too...so I consider the MGM "offering" an overall step down, not that I care about the P&S. It's *probably* the same WS video, though if they screwed with the audio who knows what they may have done to the video. Damn, at one time everybody said this would be anamorphic, so I pre-ordered it, then I find it isn't... I have many discs that have excellent non-anamorphic transfers, but don't know if this is one of them. Since it will cost me a fair bit to return this disc, I'm going to have to ponder...seems MGM is very unreliable in their recent offerings...funny, never seemed to have big issues with their releases, but lately...

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That's a shame. Silkwood is a top-notch film. I might considering purchasing if it was a nice anamorphic transfer. As it stands, though... :thumbsdown:

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Did anyone ever confirm the picture quality of this disc? I just saw Silkwood on sale for $9 at Fred Meyer...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks