Is the new "The Alamo" DVD Anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Bull, May 28, 2002.

1. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I'm pretty sure that the previous DVD release of the Alamo is Anamorphic, but the new double set ( coupled with "The Kentuckian") makes no mention of it on any of the online shopping sites I have looked at.

They all say 2.20:1 letterbox for "the Alamo" and 2.35:1 16x9 for "the Kentuckian"

Does anyone know for sure if it is or isn't Anamorphic and also does it contain the making of Documentary that is on the other DVD.

Thanks in advance.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

These bundles are [rant]never[/rant] a new transfer. They just take two existing discs that they have too much stock of, bundle them together in a theme (in this case, "Westerns"), and put the out together at a low blow-out price.

So to answer your question: It's the same item entirely.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Alamo is anamorphic, with 5.1, but it's NOT the intended cut. It's probably not all that bad...I think it's a high-def originated transfer.

This DVD has the 160 min. cut, while the full version is around 200 minutes long. That's what is being restored by Robert Harris right now.

4. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Thanks Guys,
    Now I can go ahead and order the set.

I had both the Laserdisc original short and the later long version of it, but always thought that the added footage on the long version looked poor and was somewhat distracting, plus the overall quality of either was not that good.
    So I ended up selling both.

I bought the present DVD version on Pal region 4, but found that even though the picture quality was very good, I just couldn't stomach the speeded up sound of PAL.
    So I sold that as well.

There has been another PAL region 4 release of it, which touts being the Extended Version, but the running time on the packaging suggests it is just the same shorter version and Iam not prepared to outlay the money to find out if it is or isn't.

There is a longer version available on DVD in Hong Kong, but what the quality is like, is anyone's guess.

At the price, this region one double set, looks good value and will do me fine until Robert Harris comes up with something better.