What's new

Is the new "Fabulous Baker Boys" DVD anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
I've been eyeing the new MGM DVD of "The Fabulous Baker Boys", but on the back is simply says it's "Widescreen 1.85", with no mention of being anamorphic or "16x9 Enhanced". Can anyone tell me whether or not it is anamorphic before I buy it? I've searched other threads on this forum but couldn't find any info. Thanks.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I will bet it is merely a port of the old letterboxed transfer that Artisan previously released, with MGM's logo spliced at the front and end of the film. Seeing as how there was little to no advance word of this reissue, I doubt anyone at MGM or Fox put in any more effort than necessary to get this ready for market.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator

That would be a shame if true. This movie deserves far better treatment. Doing a more extensive search online, I came up with this site that lists all of the previous DVD releases of FBB (except the new MGM release):

http://fabulousbakers.tripod.com/ab/.../DVDspecs.html

According to this site, the only anamorphic DVD out there is an R2 UK release. Another reason to invest in a multi-region player, I suppose.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It has shown up in HD on some of the High Definition channels -- so, it's possible that a nw transfer made it to the DVD. But, looking at the packaging it doesn't mention anamorphic anywhere. Pity, really.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough to see a bit of late night shooting of this movie way back in the day (saw Jeff Bridges walk under the Seattle Monorail for a few feet and then jump back into a van) and was hoping this release would be more than just a reissue. Oh well, might grab it anyway, just in case.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
The DVD Talk review actually makes no mention of the DVD being anamorphic. Can anyone verify the status of this transfer?

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator

That's actually very strange, because when the review was first posted and I think even as late as this morning, the reviewer did specify that the transfer was indeed anamorphic, and I was just about ready to pick up a copy. Now, however, the "anamorphic" reference in the review has been completely dropped. So I'm guessing that it really isn't anamorphic after all. To echo Marko: can anyone verify this?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
What Scott says - when I posted the link the review said the disc is anamorphic. Not anymore.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
This is just ridiculous. I was really looking forward to this DVD and yet again, they screw up another one. Incorrectly presuming that most everything nowadays is anamorphic, I didn't even bother to check until I was already on the highway. Oh well, back to Best Buy it goes.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
several users on DVDTalk have confirmed it is anamorphic. Also if you look at the packaging for Flyboys, another MGM DVD released on the same day which IS anamorphic, it also doesn't state on the packaging that it is anamorphic, it also just says "Widescreen."

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have the R1 '07 release and can confirm that it's anamorphic?

From a seach around the 'net, the only version that I can see from a review, is that the UK '07 version appears to be anamorphic.

That link is here at DVDTimes UK Reviews.

Thank goodness for Region-Free players if I have to get the UK version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks