What's new

Is the new DLS sub any good? (1 Viewer)

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
As some of you may remember, my sub (a cheap Aiwa) has been acting up for a while. I've never been incredibly happy with it, but lately it's been making a kind of vibrating, distorted noise whenever it has to do anything at even moderate volume. I want to replace it, but it's just not in my budget to replace it with anything incredibly expensive. I'd like to, but it's unlikely this will be possible for a while.

I have about $300, at absolute most, to spend. I'd like to spend less if at all possible. So, I know there's a new DLS sub available at Partsexpress and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it yet? If it's worth it, I might get two and just try to be happy with that for the next six or so months until I can afford a serious upgrade.

Of course, I'm also open to other suggestions in the $200-$300 range.

If it matters, right now I'm using six B&W DM303s with a Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
George,

While I haven't heard one yet, I'm pretty confident that you won't find a better sub under $300 than the DLS 10". If I had the use for one I'd probably pick one up eventually. But as I stated in another thread, I'm pretty full up on subs at the moment. There's 2 in my living room and 3 in my dining room right now. Something's got to go!:)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I'm just giving PE the benefit of the doubt on this one. If it turns out to be a clunker I'll never mention it again!:)

GregAV

Agent
Here's to hoping so, mine should be here friday. I'll post impressions as soon as I can.

Going to run a few techno tunes I have, "Techno Bass", "Atomic Dance Explosion" through it, but the rest of my music doesn't seem to reach deep enough for a sub to add much beyond what my S'38's provide(though Rammstein's "Tier" may be interesting). Any suggestions for testing fare(other than rap)?

I'll run LotR, and the Matrix through, should be interesting as I've felt the Matrix didn't have enough bass, while LotR had enough to be seriously amusing. Is there a "must" among DVD's that I should try for testing purposes? Quality flicks only, dropping a nuke on "Barney" isn't enough.

I dont plan on buying a SPL meter and running test tones unless there is obviously an issue.

Have fun,

Greg

Jim Williams

Second Unit
For some really serious bass I would suggest U-571. The depth charges should have your windows rattling!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks