Is the movie "Red Balloon" available on DVD anywhere?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Mar 4, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

When I was in grade school I saw (several times) a movie called "The Red Balloon". It was French, but the movie had no dialogue. It was about a young boy that is a loner at school and is befriended by a red balloon, and they become best friends. It's live-action, although the storyline sounds like it would be animated. It's a short film (no more than 30 minutes I believe), so it might be on some sort of compilation disc. Anyone remember this movie? Or better yet, do you know where I can obtain a copy?

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    If you have a DVD recorder, keep your eyes on the TCM schedules - they run this in half-hour slots periodically.

3. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Yes, Red Balloon is a cute movie. I have it paired with another short movie called White Mane on Criterion laserdisc. I would like to see it on dvd as well.

4. WarrenL

WarrenL Stunt Coordinator

I remember that movie(short). There was a childrens movie time program here many many years ago,and that one plus one called "Skinny and Fatty" about two Japanese boys who were friends in school, were two of my favorites. It would be nice to have a collection of those children shorts on DVD for my grandkids.

5. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

You just brought a tear to my eye.

I haven't given a single thought to The Red Balloon in over 20 years. I used to love that movie, which broke my heart every time I saw it... and I saw it a lot.

This needs to be released, ASAP!

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
  7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Wow, talk about a trip in the Wayback Machine. I remember watching The Red Balloon (and Skinny & Fatty) many times as part of the "CBS Children's Film Festival" hosted by Kukla, Fran & Ollie. This was the final entry (airing Noon CST) in CBS's Saturday morning lineup for much of the late 60s & early 70s.

Here's a page I found with a little info (including a partial list of films shown) on CCFF:

http://lion.ultinet.net/~kfo/cbs.html

I feel very lucky to have been growing up at a time when a major network aired a program aimed at introducing American kids to international cinema. I recall this show from time to time (I was 9-11 during its initial airing - the perfect age) and I suspect it had a great deal to do with my current love of film.

BTW, The Red Balloon won the Oscar in 1957 for Best Original Screenplay!