Is the "Miles Live In Paris" DVD any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vic_T, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

I was browsing through the music DVDs at best buy and I found this one. I've seen it on the shelves before, but never heard anything about it. Looking at the chapter listing, I noticed that several songs are broken in two or three segments, with snippits of an interview with Miles thrown in between. Argghh, can't stand it when they break up performances! Anyway, anyone seen it? There definitely isn't much Miles on DVD.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't have this one yet. I do plan on getting it. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's from the 80s, which turns some folks off.

So far, I have been finding jazz DVDs to be quite terrible, actually. I bought this Dizzy Gillespie disc where he barely plays- most of the performance is the guitar player.

Anyway, I'll review it when I actually do have it.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    For a different set, try Diana Krall's Live in Paris - a great CD and DVD. Reference sonics and a good performance. Wonderful engineering but the pop standards she sings are very good IMHO.
    [​IMG]

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes, "Live in Paris" is my current DTS/DD reference disc, and has surpassed "Vertigo" and catching up fast to "2001" as my most-watched DVD. Every new upgrade to my system gets tested against a few references, and "Live in Paris" is one of the most important.

Seriously, even if you're Mr. Jazz Purist, give this disc a spin. Krall may never become a favorite of yours, but this disc will surpass all expectations. If only they were all this good...

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Just in case it wasn't entirely clear, I was talking about "Diana Krall-Live in Paris". I'm still hoping someone reviews the Miles Davis DVD... [​IMG]