1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Mask anamorphic?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Martin, May 7, 2004.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i just saw the special edition and it says it comes in full and widescreen, but does not say if it's made for widescreen sets. anybody?

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

According to the IMDB, it is not. IMDB is not always the most reliable source but I would tend to think it is not anamorphic.

3. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

I've got the widescreen version of The MASK. It is not anamorphic. The picture quality and sound (5.1) is good though. I have not heard of any forthcoming re-release of this fun movie. The current issue will have to do until then.

-Mike

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's non-anamorphic, but a good transfer.

A new edition may come out soon... MiCasa lists work on new DTS/DD 5.1 mixes for the film.

5. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

what a gyp. i wonder why some non-anamorphic(at least it's not listed as such in any way on the box) 1.85:1 films fill up my screen(16x9) but others do not.

6. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Isn't a sequel due in theaters either later this year or sometime next year? If so, I would fully expect a re-release to tie into either the theatrical release or the sequel's DVD release.

7. JavierS

JavierS Stunt Coordinator

yeah, but just because a film is released on DVD, it doesn't mean it WILL be anamorphic (i.e. RANSOM)

8. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

From what I understand, some players read flags for non-anamorphic widescreen and automatically zoom the picture.

I've never had such a player, but they're out there. I think some JVC's may have it and the Panny RP-91 does all sorts of "scaling".

I too was surprised when I got a HDTV to find that The Mask was non-anamorphic; it's the only New Line release I have that isn't, and I don't think it's the oldest. Pretty sure Long Kiss Goodnight is older. That's anamorphic even though it doesn't mention it's enhanced for 16:9 TV's on the box.

The Mask should get the 16:9 treatment in the inevitable re-release. If there will be a new soundtrack, then surely it will get a new transfer. From the looks of the sequel sans Carrey, the re-issue of the original will be the only way the studio makes any money.

9. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!! it's NOT good. what are some of you on about ? it's awful. geeze, come on! even by 97 standards this one stunk up the room. the region 2 german release is slightly better, but both are dire.

10. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

I have the dutch release with anamorphic widescreen and english DTS. And yes, it´s confirmed that there will be a new edition in October this year that´s anamorphic and it has a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track. Here is the dutch release:

The Mask

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    confirmed by whom and what reg is that release for?

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It's non-anamorphic due to the fact that it was a very early DVD. (Perhaps even 1997.)

My Panny has a 4:3 Zoom option which makes my FPTV "think" that it's anamorphic. In that mode, the transfer looks "pretty good", but you definitely wouldn't confuse it with a true anamorphic transfer.

The provided Dolby Digital 5.1 audio transfer, though, absolutely rocks!. When The Mask starts "bouncing around" he ricochets around all four surround speakers.

It's probably worth the $10.00 or so you would expect to pay for this disc at any Wal-Mart.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Do you try to watch DVD's on a cinema-sized screen? Cast Away, Die Another Day, and Forrest Gump aren't perfect, but are still excellent looking DVD's.

14. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There is a better version coming from New Line in the not too distant future. In fact, the audio has been remixed for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

Dan