What's new

Is The Mask anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
i just saw the special edition and it says it comes in full and widescreen, but does not say if it's made for widescreen sets. anybody?

Tommy G

Screenwriter
According to the IMDB, it is not. IMDB is not always the most reliable source but I would tend to think it is not anamorphic.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the widescreen version of The MASK. It is not anamorphic. The picture quality and sound (5.1) is good though. I have not heard of any forthcoming re-release of this fun movie. The current issue will have to do until then.

-Mike

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
what a gyp. i wonder why some non-anamorphic(at least it's not listed as such in any way on the box) 1.85:1 films fill up my screen(16x9) but others do not.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Isn't a sequel due in theaters either later this year or sometime next year? If so, I would fully expect a re-release to tie into either the theatrical release or the sequel's DVD release.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, but just because a film is released on DVD, it doesn't mean it WILL be anamorphic (i.e. RANSOM)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

From what I understand, some players read flags for non-anamorphic widescreen and automatically zoom the picture.

I've never had such a player, but they're out there. I think some JVC's may have it and the Panny RP-91 does all sorts of "scaling".

I too was surprised when I got a HDTV to find that The Mask was non-anamorphic; it's the only New Line release I have that isn't, and I don't think it's the oldest. Pretty sure Long Kiss Goodnight is older. That's anamorphic even though it doesn't mention it's enhanced for 16:9 TV's on the box.

The Mask should get the 16:9 treatment in the inevitable re-release. If there will be a new soundtrack, then surely it will get a new transfer. From the looks of the sequel sans Carrey, the re-issue of the original will be the only way the studio makes any money.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!! it's NOT good. what are some of you on about ? it's awful. geeze, come on! even by 97 standards this one stunk up the room. the region 2 german release is slightly better, but both are dire.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I have the dutch release with anamorphic widescreen and english DTS. And yes, it´s confirmed that there will be a new edition in October this year that´s anamorphic and it has a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track. Here is the dutch release:

The Mask

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
confirmed by whom and what reg is that release for?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's non-anamorphic due to the fact that it was a very early DVD. (Perhaps even 1997.)

My Panny has a 4:3 Zoom option which makes my FPTV "think" that it's anamorphic. In that mode, the transfer looks "pretty good", but you definitely wouldn't confuse it with a true anamorphic transfer.

The provided Dolby Digital 5.1 audio transfer, though, absolutely rocks!. When The Mask starts "bouncing around" he ricochets around all four surround speakers.

It's probably worth the $10.00 or so you would expect to pay for this disc at any Wal-Mart.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Do you try to watch DVD's on a cinema-sized screen? Cast Away, Die Another Day, and Forrest Gump aren't perfect, but are still excellent looking DVD's.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
There is a better version coming from New Line in the not too distant future. In fact, the audio has been remixed for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weird_home_theater
Recent bookmarks