Is the LOTR Blu-Ray due sooner than we think?

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam

No, you're not alone. I couldn't get rid of my theatrical cut DVDs fast enough once the extended editions were available. These versions are superior in every way to the theatrical cuts....at least for this LOTR junkie!

My only regret is that in "Return of the King", we didn't have a segment on "The Scourging of the Shire" in which Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin led the way in running out the dregs of the dark lord who were still holding sway when the foursome returned to the Shire.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I think he means he prefers the theatrical cuts, and thinks he's alone in that.
It's been a long time since I saw the TCs, so it's not crystal clear in my head. I primarily want them on Blu-Ray because I don't have them. The EEs do tend to drag sometimes, pacing is all over the place. Also, scenes like the drinking game in ROTK were unnecessary.
The 'Scourging of the Shire' could've worked in the EE, since pacing isn't an issue. But I don't miss it.

Jesse Blacklow

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
IGN: Interview: Peter Jackson

If you have any proof whatsoever that Jackson has changed his mind on this, and that it's a "fact some would say the directors prefered version is the EEs" as you claim, then by all means provide it, because as it stands now the director himself is refuting both counts.

nolesrule

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
scourge - cause of affliction or calamity
scour - to clear or rid of what is undesirable

Ironically, these are almost antonyms.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Aye. And that's besides the fact that it's *still* very debateable if the TDK BD actually has the director's true intent on it since it does not *actually* present the IMAX version, but a seemingly compromised, variable AR version of the film. The true director's intent for TDK is probably what you experience in a true IMAX venue, which cannot be replicated at home. Anyone who thinks they can is probably just deluding themselves.

_Man_

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Well, compromised... I wouldn't say that. Christopher Nolan approved the matting to 1.78:1, so it has his approval. I also don't know how it could've worked otherwise, besides matting everything to 2.35:1.

cafink

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It was designed to "work" on a stories-tall Imax screen. Everything I have read about The Dark Knight--and please correct me if you've heard otherwise--indicates that the variable-aspect-ratio version was created not because director Christopher Nolan liked the opened-up composition in and of itself, but because he liked the way the image completely enveloped the viewer on an Imax screen.

This effect is completely lost when viewing the film at home. The picture can still be opened up to the taller aspect ratio, filling a 16:9 television, but no matter how big a screen one has in his home theater, this hardly has the same effect as viewing it on a proper Imax screen.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

Sure, BUT the variable AR version on BR is the CLOSEST to the original intent and that is the version I want to see.

cafink

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I think this is arguable, at best.

The constant-ratio 2.35:1 version was at least exhibited theatrically. It is, therefore, ostensibly part of Nolan's "intent" for the film.

The variable-ratio version available on Blu-ray was not exhibited theatrically. It attempts to approximate one of the two theatrical exhibitions, but contains neither the framing of the actual Imax version (the ratio of which is something like 1.4:1, as compared to the Blu-ray's 1.78:1) nor the total immersion in the picture that a true Imax screen offers.

If we're debating which version best represents the director's intent, surely the answer must be the one which actually duplicates one of the two versions that was exhibited theatrically.

Eric F

Screenwriter
FYI: Ralph Bakshi's LOTR will be released on Blu this year as well (I assume around the same time as Fellowship). While I have little interest in purchasing the theatrical version of Fellowship I will probably pick this up, as I've always had a soft spot in my heart for it.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

Lets just leave it at that. IMO, the variable AR version IS the one that closest represents the way he meant the film to be seen (IMAX variable AR version) which is what we get on BR

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

I will track it down when I feel like backtracking through those threads which could take a bit of time. I will link it when I find it......

Jesse Blacklow

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I just searched through the three most recent threads on LOTR at HDD's forums and couldn't find a single link to any article where PJ said that the EE are his preferred and/or definitive versions of the films.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

He does not say those exact words which I allready explained......From what he said, MY INTERPRETATION was he atleast holds the EEs as equal to the TEs and it could be perceived as him prefering the EEs as well. You might perceive it dif than I did......

Try bluray.com then.....it was on one of these 2 sites.....definately was not AVS. I will track it down when I feel up to sifting through those threads if you dont find it first.

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Todd, when you quote a source, it is up to you, not the rest of us, to provide that source.

Jesse Blacklow

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Seriously?

You make an unsupported claim and you want others to do the heavy lifting for you? I was generous enough to try HDD, but as Lew points out, the burden of proof is on you. The fact that you can't even decide if the statement is the mutually exclusive concepts of equal or preferred is starting to set off warning bells.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Let's face it. He just wants to believe what he *wants* to believe to suit his own preferences for the particular situation. That wouldn't be so bothersome if he wasn't also being so vocal (and sometimes passive aggressive, condescending, etc) about his stance (on both LotR *and* TDK).

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha