Is the LOTR 'Arwen' TV ad a good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Dec 8, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I saw this and really wasn't impressed. I know Gladiator had some TV ads made obviously to get the women into the cinema and they didn't seem that good either.

However, the Arwen TV ad appears to focus on the biggest departure from the books (obviously my opinion may change after seeing the trilogy but this is my current feeling) so it's more of a turn-off for those who've read already.

Plus, LOTR isn't that female-unfriendly. If it was it wouldn't end up at the top of 'greatest books' lists, and there wouldn't be so many women I know who've read it!

Other views?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Neither me nor the missus are sure if we've seen the ad you mention.
    We just wanted to point out that the Arwen story - while it is a bit of a departure - isn't one in the way you think. It's taken from the Appendix and simply re-woven back into the framework of the main story flow. THAT's the departure in question. It's always been there, just not part of the main narration. Appendix A, Part V (5): "Here follows a part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen...".
    Jackson obviously did it to strengthen the role of women in the films. If you want to do that, this seems the best way to do it.
    Whether or not that re-weaving, and the ads that emphasize it, will have the desired effect of drawing more ladies into the theater is anybody's guess.
    I can tell you that, in THIS household, it's my wife who's the driving force to go see this flick on opening day. She's taking off work to see it; I'm merely taking a half day off. Who's joining us? Oh...my wife's best friend, and my mother-in-law! [​IMG] So this MUST be a chick flick!!
    We've already bought our advance tickets...

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I bought mine too mate. [​IMG]
    The point is that the ad seems to focus on the fact that Glorfindel has been replaced by Arwen at the end of Book I so that it is she who rescues Frodo from the Dark Riders. The advert (hey, maybe it's on the site...) states something like "She will protect him from the danger".
    I guess it was the first thing that made me less likely to want to watch it.

4. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Theo,
    Never believe the advertising, that's the first rule! [​IMG]
    I believe the Arwen ad is just an attempt to increase the number of young girls in the audience.
    P.S. And yesterday I bought my tickets to the noon screening on 19th December. Got very good seats too! [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Going on what I've read, Arwen's 'expanded' role takes up about ten minutes of screen time max. Most of the reviews seem quite taken with her performance and are not overly concerned with the changes.
    Personally I have no problem in Arwen replacing Glorfindel at the Ford. But, I would have preferred to see Frodo do his defiance bit as in the books though, without her getting involved.
    Of course, the real female star of LOTR is Éowyn. Spy reports are quoted as saying Miranda Otto has nailed the part brilliantly. She's a fabulous character. I can't wait to see her in action in the third film.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Woah. I've obviously not made myself clear enough. I don't have a problem really with Arwen's role being increased. Moreover I'm sure it's not that big.

The point is that the ad appears to focus on it in such a way that if my Aunt (say), a massive fan of JRRT, were to see it she would be put off. I'm sure she'd still see it anyway, but I think it would have as much if not more of a negative effect than the positive one it's trying to make.

7. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

To answer your question, no, I don't think the advertising (which I haven't seen) is a bad idea from the filmmakers pov. The real fans of LOTR are not going to let an ad dissuade them from going and so any additional audience such an ad might attract is just a benefit. I think the only thing that could keep the current fans away would be bad word of mouth after the release, which I damned well hope won't happen. I know for myself, that nothing short of an advertisment showing Rush Limbaugh as Sam Gamgee would keep me away. [​IMG]

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah but come on, I saw a quick teaser once for Titanic. Imagine my disappointment when I found the film was about a sinking ship and not drawing pictures of Kate Winslet naked!
    [​IMG]