What's new

Is The Lost World worth it? (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
My brother has recommended that I get Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost world. He said he loves the show and thinks I would too. I looked into it and see that there is 2 seasons on DVD.

So what I would like to know is... are these sets worth about $45.00 each? from what I can tell there is no extras? how is the show? how about the quality?

I like a huge varity of shows such as...

angel
Buffy
Beastmaster
Dark angel
Hercules
Xena
Smallville
X-Files
Mash
Star Trek

And the list goes on and on.

The main thing that concerns me is like where I just got Forever Knight Trilogy: Part 1... I love the show... but no extras and quality lacked a little... and they have that one retailed for $79.98. DDD priced at about $56.00. If it wasn't for finding it at the cheap price of $23.86 I would have been disappointed in my Forever Knight purchase. And I just don't want to make the same type of mistake twice.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It's one of my guilty pleasures. Quality of the DVDs is better than TV broadcasts, but not stellar.

I hope they release the third and final year soon. I wish they would also at least do a 2 hour movie to wrap it up.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks Steve...
It does sound like something I would like. even though not a huge issue for me... I do love seeing extras on DVD... from what I can tell these sets have nothing... is this true?

Either way... sounds like I will be checking it out before to much longer. :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, it's true.

I bought the first season and can't even get through the first few episodes. It's for sale on half.com now.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
why cant you get threw the first few episodes?

Keep in mind that there is a double release going around for the 1st season. 2 different dvd production companies made copies.

the 1st Set is cheeper and MAY contain extras but that company never made a second season release. The other company however did release Both season and Was suppose to have season 3 out by the end of this year but nothing official has been announced.

heres amazon.ca links to all the sets. Im sure there on amazon.com too.

The 1st season made By a seperate company
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...469373-4661628

The 1st Season

the 2nd season made by the same company.

there is also a mini-series on DVD.. but its basically a movie. It has all the same characters in it from the show... but there all played by differnt actors and the story line is that of its own movie and does not relate to that of the show. Ive never seen it but I heard its good.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releasei...ReleaseID=1586

Personally Im waiting on the season 3 set. Once that is released I will buy all 3 together.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok Mike, you almost had me going there. The mini-series I have, and it is just a movie. To qualify for a mini-series the movie parts would have to be shown on more than one night, like the '10th Kingdom' or 'Roots'. You do need to understand that the characters have to remain the same, as they are all based on ONE book.

I never knew that this one was a series. I saw the pilot on CATV and thought that was it. Finding out that it is a series is really great news for me, as I did like what I saw.

Sure, extras would be nice but I can't see saying no just because it is only the show. Ok, IIRC, maybe a Playboy spread?

Glenn

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
There have been a large number of different versions of "The Lost World" the last few years it seems like so be careful which one you get. The series is the one with Jennifer O'Dell as the lovely jungle girl added to the saga, and the one to avoid has Peter Falk as a religious fanatic.

Image put out the barebones Seasons 1 and 2 and I've had trouble with Disc loading from the Image sets on my Sony combo player even with multiple versions. That tended to put a damper on my ability to get through the episodes, even though I can watch them on my computer. I'm sort of waiting to see if I'll have better luck on a new player I'll be getting in a few weeks.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I read somewhere that there was a less censored European version that showed a bit more of the females, particularly Rachael Blakely. Can anyone verify this?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, but that would be nice! real nice.

I liked the Peter Falk version. He wasn't in it for very long but played a very effective roll. For a movie, it is ok too.

The version that I can't stand is the one that takes place in Mongolia. Sure, I can let the movie stray a little, but Mongolia? That's pushing it a little bit too far.

I ordered both seasons last night, so I'll have them soon.

Glenn

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm almost done with Xena (I am watching the last season now) and am wondering how The Lost World compares?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I remember not liking this show at first then really starting to love it then a big change that made it lesser in quality but I still cared for some of the actors/characters. I would buy it if there were not so many other things in the way.

wizard55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I've loved this show since I started watching it on TNT years ago. All 3 seasons are now released on DVD can be bought on amazon, and other places. There was another release of season one by "Liberty Entertainment" which includes bloopers, footage from The Lost World Convention, a bunch more things. I'm not sure how available it is anymore but i'm sure you can find it online or pop into the offical lost world forum and all the wonderful people there can help you. http://www.lostworldtv.net/bbs

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I used to watch this series on television and it ran for a few seasons. It is pretty good ... there's nothing spectacular about it but it is rather enjoyable to watch.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing the show when it premiered and not caring for it. Then, I discovered it again during season 2 when it aired at 3am after arriving home from work. I won't lie to you and say that the show is great, but it is interesting at times although it helps if you can watch it with friends and pillorize it. I did not like season 3 at all as it seemed to lose the feel of the series. I can't recommend it as a "buy" at the prices at which it sells for retail, particularly if it is a blind purchase.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have the 1st 2 sets of this series and I liked them but I have not seen S3. I held off on getting S3 after reading that 2 main characters in the series Jennifer O'Dell (Veronica), and Canadian actor David Orth (American journalist Ned Malone)' appearances were limited in S3 due to Australian labor laws at the time of the filming of the series.

I recommend S1 & 2 since I've always been partial to the theme (touch of Edgar Rice Burrows, dinasours, etc). I liked S1 better than S2. S2, to me, focused on a little too much of the "mystic" themes than I prefer in this type of series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks