Is the longer version of the Adventures of Milo and Otis available?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StephenA, Dec 30, 2001.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have both the VHS and DVD version of the film, and they run in at about 76 minutes. I was reading through Leonard Maltin's movie guide book, and it says the movie originally clocked in at about 90 minutes. I know it's Japanese, so is there a Japanese laserdisc import or whatever of the original print?

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Good question, I'd love to know the answer as well.

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

BTW: not only would there be extra footage, but the songs would be different and the narration as well (quite possibly very different since I think they completely rewrote the film for the US). Hopefully the Japanese version would have English Subtitles.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

This is one of my all time favorite movies, believe it or not. I'd really love to see the whole 90 minute version, if it is available. So does anyone know?

5. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but hey, Why start a new one when you can do this. So, anyone know I could get my hands on the 90 minute version of Milo and Otis? I've been region free for a while.
    Also, and this is kinda disturbing. IMDB lists the film as 2.35:1 OAR, but the DVD is 1.85:1. Was the dvd partially pan and scanned? Or is IMDB just wrong? Any help would be...well, helpful[​IMG]

6. WillG

WillG Producer

7. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'm still wondering if the longer version's available myself. I was kind of surprised to see this thread pop up.

8. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

There was a Region 3 release from Hong Kong that I found in a store in NYC's Chinatown. Never picked it up, don't know if it's wide or has subs, but it's out there.

And just to answer another question, MILO & OTIS was 1.85:1. I was working in a movie theater when it was released and it was only projected at that ratio.

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Here's the IMDB entry for 子猫物語: The Adventures of Chatran. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this movie was made for TV. (Note that Fuji Television Network Inc. is listed as a production company.)
    I have seen the Japanese version on a VHS tape, which my brother rented from a video store in Seattle's international district. I liked the Japanese version a lot better, because (unlike the US version) the narrator wasn't constantly yapping throughout the whole movie. (This version was 4:3 and not subtitled.)

10. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

I hate to say this, but if a longer restored version would be put together, it would have to have new narration recorded by Dudley Moore to conform to the existing one.

There's just one problem, of course...Moore is no longer with us, so perhaps if a Moore imitator (or an entirely new narrator) would take his place, maybe we'll see this longer version.

11. Jeff Jacobson

My brother just sent me a link to where you can buy the DVD of the Japanese version from Amazon.co.jp.
    The running time listed for the DVD is 95 minutes. It has a Japanese audio track and Japanese subtitles.
    Here are the specs for the DVD. Note this line "画面サイズ: ビスタ". This says "Screen size: Vista". Perhaps it wasn't made for TV after all.

12. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

I should make mention to those of you who saw squares in place of the Japanese writing...those who do not have a Japanese font installed in your web browser will see those squares (in other words, the HTML encoding will interpret the Japanese writing as squares).

13. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

14. Jeff Jacobson

Sorry, I forgot to mention before that 子猫物語 (Koneko Monogatari) translated into English is "Kitten Story". Only the American version is called "Milo & Otis". (The cat & dog have different names in the Japanese version. The cat is called Chatran, and I don't remember the dog's name.)
    Note that the Hong Kong DVD is listed at 90 minutes on YesAsia.com, and the Japanese DVD is listed at 95 minutes on Amazon.co.jp. I haven't seen either of these DVDs myself, so I don't know whether one of the websites is inaccurate or if the HK one is actually missing five minutes of footage. (Or is the HK one PAL?)