What's new

Is the Lexicon MC-1 the best sound processor? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Lobo

Agent
Hi Randy,
We did this test amongst the general public. We did a random sampling of people (men and women) who would come into our retail store. Best pieces were under the same conditions (ie-acoustic treatment and speakers).
I'm not saying Lexicon is a mediocore piece. It's just that there are better sounding products out there.
I think many people base their decisions nowadays on marketing hype.
Anthony

Randy G

Second Unit
Danny,
You say that you have good information that Lex is going to come out with a product in between the MC-1 and MC-12. I read a thread over on the SMR-forums about such a product being on a WISH LIST of MC-1 owners. What source would lead YOU to believe that such a product is actually in the making????

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: I think Lexicon does well because it's a well designed product with lots of advertising to back it up.[/quote] Lexicon's best "advertising" has always been their large number of very satisfied customers. That's how I first heard of them -- from another owner.
And, of course, once you start with Lexicon (when I did, the DC-1 was one of only a handful of available DD processors), there's a strong incentive to stay because of the upgrade paths.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 04, 2001 at 12:23 PM]

Anthony Lobo

Agent
Hi Michael,
I think many companies have realized how valuable a selling tool Lexicon had with their upgrade program.
ADA was one of those companies and will be implementing an upgrade program for their Cinema Rhapsody and Cinema Reference units.
I think the ADA program will work out better because ADA will allow a user to upgrade their current unit from a Cinema Rhapsody to Cinema Rhapsody Mach II. Whereas with Lexicon their upgrade policy goes from a DC-1 to MC-1. So the upgrade ends up costing alot more money.
Anthony

Randy G-
If you read thru the posts at SMR's forum, you will see I posted a response basically saying I had decided to sever my ties after 12+ years with Lexicon due to a stagnant state on the MC-1. No upgrades, or announcements have been announced for it.
I was basically told to sit tight for a little while longer while the MC-12 was debugged and got a foothold in the marketplace, then Lex's attention would turn elsewhere in the product line.
It is also common sense..Lexicon has no more room to expand the current DC-2/MC-1 platform, and the MC-12 is not going to sell like hotcakes simply because of the high list price on it, and of course, the economic situation we are in now.
Even at 6 grand list on the MC-1, they could be had when introduced for around 4-4200.00 if one shopped around. The best price I have seen on the MC-12 so far is around 7400.00- quite a chunk of change for a unit that isn't even totally debugged yet. Even with a traded in Lex..you still are looking at at least 5 grand out of pocket...still pretty pricey considering what most paid for an MC-1.
Introducing an MC-2 or whatever with a trade in difference of say 2-3000 grand would be an awesome deal- and one that I think will happen if Lexicon wants to keep the majority of their customer base.
[Edited last by Danny Bonnell on October 04, 2001 at 07:27 PM]

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
__________________________________________________ __________
"What is the purpose of a processor? Mainly to crunch numbers, like a PC. Do you care what kind of box your PC comes in? Lexicon products are built to perform specific tasks, and they do them wonderfully. The comparison to a low grade receiver is ludicrous."
__________________________________________________ __________
I must take exception to this comment. Why do Krells and Thetas come in striking and unusual shapes. Are you saying these units are not built to perform a specific task? When one spends the money demanded by Lexicon you want more than a computer box. I guess Lexicon realized this was not a ludicrous idea when they designed the MC-12. It is a rather handsome component with a quality feel.
Frank

Magnus Jonsson

Auditioning
Hallo all htf-members,one of the best hometheater processor is Meridian 800 if im not wrong.
Magnus
------------------

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Frank said, "I must take exception to this comment. Why do Krells and Thetas come in striking and unusual shapes. Are you saying these units are not built to perform a specific task? When one spends the money demanded by Lexicon you want more than a computer box. I guess Lexicon realized this was not a ludicrous idea when they designed the MC-12. It is a rather handsome component with a quality feel."
As was stated, some people buy faceplates. We sell quite a bit of Jeff Rowland, Mark Levinson, Sonus Faber, etc. to the "faceplate" buyers. They don't audition it, nor do they care how it sounds. They want the faceplate. Those that come with an open mind usually walk away with Meridian.
Magnus,
You got it half right. :) The Meridian 861 is a state of the art surround sound and multi-channel music processor.
The Meridian 800 is a DVD player and I am thoroughly unimpressed with it at its price point.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
"Seems to me that Lexicon has product problems. The MC-1 is Outdated and the MC-12 is to expensive. The build quality of the MC-1 is on par with a low grade receiver. I cannot imagine paying 6 grand for it. You can pick up a fully upgraded used one for under $2500. Lexicon will have to come out with something less expensive because alot of long time devotees I know are balking at upgrading.IMHO."
While I'm not sure if this is a "drop the hook and yank" type of comment, but if I owned an electronics/processing company, I could only dream of it having problems similar to that of Lexicon. For those who "are" familiar with the company, know this (HT) is basically a sideline for them. Their position in the music recording industry is second to no one.
Outdated....? I can't imagine anyone who has truly listened to an MC-1 would say it is outdated. Are you refering to it's inability to perform DVD-A or SACD.....? My point is this; I don't believe the majority of people who purchase this piece do so, expecting it to outperform a Hovland or Levinson No. 32. If their emphasis was 2 channel (or multi channel), they would have purchased items more suited for their specialty. So, to call an item "outdated" that performs both functions exceptionally well is preposterous. Further, if your comments are solely based on it's appearance ie. lack of brushed aluminum faceplate, that simply lends to the point I'm trying to make.
When I put a DVD in, the soundtrack and score literally come to life. 2 channel and Music Logic are equally impressive.
It is a proven product with a proven track record which is by no means sub par or outdated.
Herb.
------------------
[Edited last by Herb Kane on October 04, 2001 at 08:48 PM]

Ben Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Come on Guys
I thought I posted this post to help me to decide on buying a pre-amp but it turns out all the garbage that I don't need. Okay so last thing, I am come down to a casablanca 2 and lexicon MC-12. Can any of you tell me, which one will sound better in term of sound(pleasant to the ears and CLEAN sound). Thanks again

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Ben,
YOU need to audition the products and see what works for YOUR ears. To buy a pre-pro at that price point on the advice of people on an Internet Forum borders on the ridiculous. None of what any of us say should matter one whit in your purchasing decision.
wink.gif
It's YOUR money and YOUR listening enjoyment. I suggest you do extensive listening and include products from Tag McLaren and Meridian as well. Good luck.

I've read this whole thread and I would like to add my findings. I've upgraded from a Marantz AV-600 pre to a loaded Lexicon DC-1 (now v4.0). Before upgrading, I've tried both Denon's and Onkyo's flagship receivers.
Anyone who claims that either Denon's or Onkyo's are better in any aspect hasn't compared those to a Lexicon because that's plainly impossible. As towards general performance as s pre-amp/processor the Lexicon still amazes me in every aspect.
Mark
PS. to the upgradability of the unix: the DC/MC-1/2 was one of the first to have EX/ES and I'm convinced the whole DC/MC-line will be upgraded shortly. I'm not in big rush to get an upgrade because what more can be added? DTS Discrete, DPLII? Are we really waiting for that?

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,
You will have to do some hard work and go audition the products. Seeing your going to be spending near 10 grand and are concerned with sound quality you may have to drive to a dealer, which should be easy in New York. You claim you have narrowed your choices to the Casablanca 2 and the MC-12. Why did you ask about the MC-1? You obviously are not considering it.
Frank

Ben Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Frank
Did you have breakfast yet???? Does any 1 here listened to MC-12 yet? The answer is likely no. Does any1 here have listened to MC-1 yet? The answer is yes. So when I asked about MC-1's sound quality I could figure out how the MC-12 will sound since it is made from the same company, it should sound the same and maybe MC-12 will sound better. Who is going to ask any info about MC-12 when it is too new.
Ben

ChrisA

Second Unit
I could never, ever consider Lexicon, unless they changed the bass management. The crossover choices of only 40,80,120 are entirely unacceptable. 40 and 80 are for all intensive purposes useless. And the fact that there are only 3 total choices for crossover points is lame. I have not looked at the Lexicon MC-12... hopefully they have improved the bass management, they must have. (Love the Meridian stuff!!!)
Cassablanca/Cassanova 2, since you mentioned it, would be my preference over the MC-12. Meridian is my favorite.
So did Lexicon ever improve the bass management in terms of crossover choices?
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by ChrisA on October 05, 2001 at 01:48 PM]

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
The MC-12 is a total redesign. It would be useless to buy one based on impressions obtained from a
MC-1 user. As for first hand user reports on the MC-12 check the SMR forums, The official Lexicon site. Here is the Linky http://www.smr-forums.com/ Time for dinner...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks