1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Lexicon MC-1 the best sound processor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Rogers, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Is it the best processor in term of sound? How does it sound? I like the Marantz sound. Ae they similar in sound? Thanks for any info

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

There is also the MC-12 and MC-12b.
    Lexicons NEW flagship. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

3. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

That's really a loaded question and the kind to really start some flames.
    I will say that the MC-1 has been one of the best performing and best sounding processors I've ever run accross. However, I have never listened to Meridian or AVP.
    When choosing a pre/pro today, you should make sure you have an excellent upgrade path. Lexicon offers a good trade in program, but maybe not good enough as you can find lots of MC-1s out there for sale now that the MC-12 is out.
    I would rather be able to take a unit in or download continuous upgrades.
    Good luck in your search.

4. EricKH

EricKH Agent

I have the Meridian 568 and love it. When you get to this level, the differences are minute, in my opinion. I am sure the Lexicon is great, as is Theta etc. The best bet is to listen for yourself and make the decision that gives you the greatest enjoyment.
    ------------------
    Thanks, Eric

5. Ben Rogers

I wish I could have a chance to audition because there is none dealer in MAssachuseets carry Theta, Krell or meridian and only 1 place carry Lexicon and only offer 1 week trial which is no help to me. Tough to buy high ends stuff these days

6. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Ben,
    If you can get hold of the most recent issue of"the Perfect Vision" magazine they have a listing of many of the top processors with comments regarding there performances.
    The comments are in what I call "real speak", or verbage that a "normally intellegent" HTF member can understand.
    They feel the MC-1 is a great processor for home theaters, but not the greatest at music performance in a two-channel mode.
    After testing at my home with a friend's MC-1 and amps (Bryston) versus my Denon 5800 and my Arcam pre and Bryston amps for two-channel/movies/surround, I would have to agree.
    We used my Paradigm Ref 60/CC/ADP/SA-10R speakers/Velo HGS-18 sub and calibrated each system.
    For movie performance in 5.1, the Lexicon/Bryston combo barely eaked out a victory over the Denon 5800 - they were both exceptional performers. (Arcam/Bryston combo not included in this test).
    For two-channel, the Arcam/Bryston combo finished first, followed by the Denon 5800 in Pure Direct mode, with the Lexicon/Bryston combo finishing in a distant third place. Something was mising in the clarity and detail for two-channel on the Lexicon.
    The final test was between the Lexicon Logic 7 vs. the Denon 7-channel stereo. The Lexicon version was much better and more enjoyable to our ears.
    Our final analysis:
    Lexicon great on movies, but their sonics on two-channel music are a bit lacking. They do processing great (even with the Logic 7), but some up short on two-channel presentation with critical listening.
    Remember - your results may, and probably would, vary!!!!!!
    Good Luck,
    Mike

7. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Ben,
    I lived in MASS. for 28 years and trust me you should be able to find dealers for those products. Check out Goodwin's Hi End Audio in Waltham (realy big boy toy store!), Natural Sound in framingham (I know they carry Meridian for a fact!), Media Systems in Boston, Audio Video Design in Wellesley (another big boy place!), Audio Visions in Woburn, Ensamble AV in Arlington, and Creative Systems in Framingham. All of those towns are

8. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Guys,
    Personally, all this negative talk I've heard over the past couple of years about the MC-1's 2-channel performance is really getting tiresome. No offense, Mike. That was a fine review, but I respectfully disagree with your conclusions.
    I prefer to listen to stereo sources in 2-channel mode. To my ears, what goes in is what comes out. As I have active monitors (yes, they are very revealing), it's very easy for me to completely bypass the MC-1. When comparing between the 2 signal paths, I still can't hear a blind bit of difference. Yes, I realize how crude this comparison is. But if I can't hear a difference between a completely bypassed signal and one that has been passed through the MC-1, well... that, at least, is good enough for me. For most of my adult life, I was a full-time professional musician and recording engineer. Accordingly, I have clinically recorded, sampled and manipulated digital audio since 1985. Based on that experience, I can unreservedly state that, where "2-channel" mode is concerned, what goes into this thing is, audibly, what comes out-at least to my ears.
    Respectfully submitted,
    Greg

9. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Greg,
    If you read my "review" you'll note several things:
    The MC-1 finshed first in two of the three "tests".
    It was being compared to a very good 2-channel only system and a top-notch receiver.
    The 2-channel performance did not meet that of the other two, but it would still kick the *ss out of many systems.
    Right now the MC-1 can be purchased fully loaded, slightly used for between $2000-$3000 (and maybe even lower). I consider this a steal and if I was looking for a great home theater set-up and did not care about future formats, I would seriously consider a MC-1 and a good amp system to go along versus my Denon 5800.
    BTW, we did run the CD direct (has a variable output)throught the Brystons and there was an audible difference (IMHO) between the "direct" mode and all the other setups.
    As said before, your results may vary!!!
    Mike

10. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Greg, the MC-1 two channel performance is excellent in my opinion and outstanding for movies in the logic 7 mode. I listen to the MC-1 in two channel bypass mode using one of the digital expansion ports on the back of the MC-1. The only thing you can control in this mode is the volume. Plenty of detail and clarity for the music I listen to. As always, your mileage may vary.
    ------------------

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I can't say whether it's the best, but it's really, really, REALLY good. [​IMG]
    M.

12. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Ben,
    You should audition's new pre-amp processors (Cinema Rhapsody, and Cinema Reference). I would say you would be very happy with the sound when paired up with an ADA amp.
    The new processors have the usual stuff like DTS-ES, DTS-Neo, THX Surround EX, Pro-Logic II, etc.
    ADA will also be implementing a trade in policy like Lexicon if a user wants to upgrade their processors.
    I think alot of people give ADA a bum rap because alot of dealers don't sell their products. But I strongly encourage you to call ADA and find out who your local dealer is and give the product a try.
    Anthony

13. Ben Rogers

How does it sound?
    Sound clean like Marantz? dull or dry or musical????

14. Danny Bonnell

Ben-
    I would call the sound of the MC-1 neutral..what goes in, comes out. I also think its 2 channel performance is underated...but then again..if you want 2 channel performance- why are you buying a 7 channel HT processor?
    Also...FWIW..I have gotten very good information that Lexicon will introduce a successor to fill in the spot between the MC-1 and MC-12- and will make it practically irresistable for current MC-1 owners not to trade up. The dollars will be minimal.
    I don't think most people are willing to pay the huge upcharge for the MC-12.

15. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Seems to me that Lexicon has product problems. The MC-1 is Outdated and the MC-12 is to expensive. The build quality of the MC-1 is on par with a low grade receiver. I cannot imagine paying 6 grand for it. You can pick up a fully upgraded used one for under $2500. Lexicon will have to come out with something less expensive because alot of long time devotees I know are balking at upgrading.IMHO.
    Frank

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

17. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    I take no offense to anyones opinions especially to the owners of that specific product!!! The quality of sound of ANY processor is going to be subjective. We could put all the HTF members in the same room (have to be an awfully big room!..lol) and EVERYONE would hear something slightly differently! Personally, I will consider the DC-2 and seperate stereo pre-amp before the MC-1 but then again I put Soy sauce on Fettucinni Alfredo!.Personal preference
    ...lol!!!!!!
    Mike

18. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Ben,
    In blind test studies we've done while trying out different companies processors most users have commented they prefer ADA's sound over Lexicon because it has a better depth to the soundstage and exhibits more warmth.
    I strongly suggest you give the Cinema Rhapsody Mach II a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Ask your local ADA dealer if they also do Lexicon and ask them to do a side by side comparison with the speakers you plan on using.
    I think Lexicon does well because it's a well designed product with lots of advertising to back it up. ADA is primarily sold by custom shops like myself because the setup for one is alot more complicated and thus better suited for custom A/V shops.
    The sound for the Rhapsody Mach II and Reference Mach II is the same.
    Anthony

19. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Here's a question:
    In a level-matched, double-blind comparison, how many of you "audiophiles" would be willing to BET YOUR LIFE on your ability to distinguish between that "mediocre sounding" MC-1 and the other "high-end" pre-amps? Take a minute to think before answering.
    Didn't think so.

20. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Mike,
    Actually, my previous post was directed at Mike O'Connell who responded quite graciously (as have you).
    You wrote:
    "Personally, I will consider the DC-2 and seperate stereo pre-amp before the MC-1..."
    I partially, agree. The MC-1 has "broadcast quality" video switching, but the switching on the DC-2 is excellent. The MC-1 has a noise floor about 10 or 15DB below the DC-2, but the noise floor on the DC-2 is essentially inaudible. The MC-1 has expansion ports, but not many MC-1 users avail themselves of that feature. The DC-2 is $1500 (List) cheaper than the MC-1. In a typical application, these two units are sonically and functionally identical.
    As for the seperate stereo pre-amp, I wouldn't waste my time or money. As previously mentioned, my unit imparts no (subjectively audible) sonic signature of its own to the source.
    Best wishes,
    Greg