What's new

Is the JBL Studio Series sub in the same league as the SVS's and HSU's? (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The JBL hit 86.1dBs in the new SoundVision shootout written by Nousaine. I believe that is the magazine the members are saying they got already---not home theater mag.

86.1/25hz/10% thd limit is no better than fair in the method Nousaine uses.

Tom V.
SVS

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
Well I just couldn't resist anymore after reading all the great things and I just placed an order for a 20-39 PCI. Hopefully I won't make enemies with the neighbors. :)

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Hi Joe,

Be sure and check out the Chicagoland HT Enthusiasts group as I see you are in the area. There are a few other SVS owners in the group, as well as some people with some very fun rooms.

Chicagoland HT Enthusiasts

Regards,

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Hi there Mark,

How's your Contrabass doing, and any revisions/improvements in the works? Sorry if this is totally off track, but since you are here, i might as well ask.

Regards

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Jumping OT-

Hi Vince,

The ContraBass is still alive and kicking. Other than some very minor cosmetic changes, little has changed with it, and in my biased oppinion, that's a good thing for now. If you want to see some other stuff we've been working on, check this thread at AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=272320

Keep an eye out though, you may see more talk of the ContraBass in the near future.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Thanks Mark.You know me over at AVS, as my username is quite different.However thats my secret.:D I'm glad that individuals such as yourself continue to find new ways of improving subwoofer performance.

Regards

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
Tom, Thanks for getting my 20-39 out so quickly I'll be looking forward to getting it hooked up.

Mark, I'll look forward to talking to you guys on the Chicago HT group.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my first issue of Home Theater magazine. I'm kind of miffed because they sent me the August 2003 issue? I ordered the subscription because of the issue that had the review on the subs (Studio series 12"er). From what I read higher on this thread, the issue date for the reviewed subs is October 2003?? Hopefully they get me the issue I need. Hmm?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I recently had the same dilemma (pick up a JBL S120PII at a significant discount or go with an SVS) and decided to go with the JBL. Since I have a smallish dedicated HT room and was already running a JBL PB12, I felt that the JBL would fit the application better. I also had a hard time walking away from the JBL at the price asked (which was $189 due to a Harman International employee discount). Keep in mind that I really wanted to hear what SVS had to offer based on the rave reviews, but I just couldn't justify the extra money. Well, after placing the JBL sub and calibrating it, I am thoroughly impressed. This sub outputs clean, well-defined bass when it needs to with musical passages on DVD with plenty of extension with low frequency effects.

Also, be sure to pick up a decent cable. I went with a 12' DH Labs BL-1 Series II Cable w/Cardas connectors from Moon Audio (www.moon-audio.com).

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"You know me over at AVS, as my username is quite different.However thats my secret."

Not to hard to figure out when you include your country g.t.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks