What's new

is the JBL NSP1 and the Sony 12" sub still the best of the cheep stuff? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I am helping get someone into HT and a few years ago this was the best combo around here, but I am wondering if it is still a good low price entry level setup?

JBL NSP1 Best Buy $349.99

JBL NSP1 best Buy Link

Sony 150 Watt Sub @ Best Buy $199.99

Sony 150Watt Sub Best buy Link

Also I was thinking about pair it all up with the Onkyo TXSR501 @ CC for $249.99

Onkyo SR501 CC link

with the current pkg: $800 not including cables and wires.

I am totally up for suggestions, but really am looking to keep the sound portion of the HT under $800 if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

(BTW: This guy is not knowledgeable but is a very picky business man that is only interested in great deals. If that helps. Thanks for your help!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The NSP1s are still popular (amongst others). The Sony sub that was popular was the WM40 though (now out of production) - I hear the replacement subs WM400, WM500, etc - are not as well recommended.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
for $200 you could get 2 Tiny Mighty IIs: the Dayton 10" powered subwoofer from partsexpress.com. There are plenty of happy owners of this subwoofer on this forum and it has incredible bang-for-the-buck. I use a single one as a secondary sub behind my seating area to add extra "oomph" and I must say I am very impressed by this little performer. It generates deep tight bass and it can go pretty loud for its size. Definitely not as powerful as the primary sub in my setup, an HSU STF-2, but for $99 the Dayton is definitely the best in that price range, hands-down!

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Never heard about the Dayton before. I wonder if I should look into getting those for my regular HT to add with my SVS?

But back to the guy.

I am not wondering how the HSU Ventriloquest VT-12 with a HSU STF2 sub would compare to the system I originally proposed? It would be a mini system with a great sub and add a 6th speaker for that cool 6.1 back center channel. all for $589 and then add the Onkyo 501 ($250)to the mix and bring the basics to $840.

I just wonder how the JBL NSP1+Athena Point 5 MK II and the Ventriloquist VT-12 + HSU STF2 would compare?

Does anyone thing the ventriloquest VT-12 (as a mini system) would be better or worse than the JBL NSP1 set with a good sub?

BTW: thanks for all the help guys!!! I would really love to be able to hear from an owner of the HSU VT-12 it sounds a little weird and I was wondering if you could just hook it up normally to a 6.1 receiver and have it act like normal speakers or if you have to do the weird stuff to get it to sound good? Thanks!

I am assuming that the Athena Point 5 MK II and the HSU STF2 are better subs than the Dayton 10" but let me know all your thoughts on this too. Thanks!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Athena Point 5 MK II - This isnt a sub, its a 5 speaker set consisting of the same 4 athena speakers for fronts and rear surrounds and a center channel. My friend just got a set and i must say i was impressed with its performance for movies but it was nothing to brag about for music. Its on clearence at best buy for $199 down from $399. You cant go wrong, same return policy as anything else at BB, 30 days no questions with receipt. Might as well give it a shot before its too late.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
You just missed out. The last several weeks bestbuy.com had been selling the NSP1 set for $199.00 on sale! I had been keeping an eye on it but last saturday was the last day. Darn :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks