Is The 'I Love The 70's/80's' Ruined By 'Wise' Commentary?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by James Edward, Aug 18, 2003.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I got more and more uptight tonight watching 'I Love 1970' on VH-1.

5 seconds of TV show or cultural phenomenon exposure is coupled with 30 seconds of wise-ass commentary. I know they must think they're making really pithy, hip, and funny comments. Perhaps it wouldn't be so annoying if they weren't so frequent.

It seems as though any real footage that gets aired must cost money by the second. Why else would they weigh it down with so many idiotic, seldomly funny interjections- mainly from people who were not even born yet.

Am I off the mark here? Do I just not get it?

2. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I agree with your point about commentary from people not even born yet. A lot of the comments came from people in their 20's and 30's. WTF do they know about the 70's. I think Hal Sparks was still crapping his pants during the 70's.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Missing the point. I'm watching it for the commentary by Johnny Blue Jeans (Michael Ian Black), the Kids in the Hall, and Hal Sparks, not to learn about the decade. I'm surprised how many people wanted a dry look back in these specials.

EDIT: Caught a name I got wrong.

4. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I guess I need to elaborate. I'm not looking for a dry History channel type documentary on the 70's either. My point is that there are plenty of funny people to comment that actually lived through the 70's. It would be far more genuine to me that way.

5. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

6. James Edward

Maybe I'm just too old... [​IMG]

I guess I'd like 30 seconds of the TV show, cultural phenomena, or whatever, and 5 seconds of wise-ass commentary. To me, they take each joke too far. Example-
    Isaac Hayes doing the hairstyle bit- was it necessary for him to say: "Who knows more about hair than me?" and then rub his bald head?

I'm not looking for a sober, PBS special on the decade- the shows, people and culture are enough to make me laugh. Even Watergate can be made funny. I just don't need to be hit over the head to laugh.

7. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

The only one who bothers me is Kelly Rowlands, who has yet [in either this or the '80's version] to say anything but "We LOVED x x x. That x x x was Soooo cool."

8. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I'm with you, James. I watched it for about five minutes before the commentary got on my nerves. What made "I Love the Eighties" so much fun wasn't only the commentary but the fact that the commentators were reminiscing and making fun of themselves: their love for Wham, the acid washed jeans craze, etc. That's not possible here for Rocca and company so their comments come off as forced when they're not snide.

9. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

10. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

As someone who likes both the 70s and 80s despite only being born in 1982, I hate the wise-ass commentary.

I suggest they call it "I Loathe The 70s/80s", because you never make fun of the things you love. It would be like me making fun of my dear, departed dad, whom I loved very much. I would be very mean-spirited if I did that. Therefore, I look at people like Mo Rocca and Hal Sparks as very mean-spirited.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Once again, this is just my opinion. (Everybody drink now![​IMG])

11. Randy Brist

Randy Brist Agent

I agree with some of the comments in this thread. As someone who spent high school, college, and 3 years of married life in the 70's, (70-79)I feel it is a decade I remember well. I enjoy the clips and >some< of the wise ass comments. It seems to me the show is skewed at an audience who was not alive during the 70s and enjoys the jokes and sarcasm lathered on by the "interviewees." I personally think Hal Sparks is funny- but I get the impression they show the clips to the folks BEFORE they comment on camera. It's sort of a "nod nod wink wink" format. For those of us old enough to really remember the 70s, I think most of the folks they are interviewing can't really have first-hand recollections and are blabbing on until VH1 gets just the right sound bite to use with the clip. I'm still watching, but feel a bit more seriousness would make it more watchable for me. I must admit however that Michael Ian Black really makes me laugh.

RandyB

12. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I, too, don't get the idea behind having people who don't remember the 70's talking about the 70's. At least they got some 70's people on the show (David Lee Roth, Bo Derek, etc.) But Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black????

I agree with the above comments. I love the 80's worked because people were relating personal experiences, rather than making up "schtick".

Will Hal Sparks do "I Love the 40's".

Glen Miller played "In The Mood". I wonder what he was "In The Mood" for??? Those wacky 40's people!"

14. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

15. James Edward

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    The only problem I have with either program is the fact that Hal Sparks is NOT funny!

He must have the most free time available because he gabs through half of the shows running time.

17. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Having been born in 1970 I think the series is a hoot. Some of the humor is a bit dry but generally I enjoy most of it. I do wish it was more comprehensive, perhaps either by making each show longer or just by reducing the number of comedic attempts by the talking heads.