What's new

Is the HK AVR225 the best I can get for under $400? (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
The HK AVR225 that is. I'm looking to upgrade my Pioneer VSX-d709s. Can I do any better under $400 shipped from an authorized dealer? Any opinions are welcomed. It will be powering some JBL N38's, Ncenter and N-24's. Possibly and Ascend OR HTD system if I decide to get different speakers to. Thanks.

Jason

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Jason,
I have both an H/K 510 and a Denon 1602, and while they are both very nice, I prefer the Denon for it's fuller soundstage, and channel separation. The Denon can be purchased for around $300.00 these days.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jason:

I think the H/K 225 is your best choice at around $400 MSRP, particularly if music is an issue.

--AM

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
If you order from OneCall or JandR, and decide to price haggle, you might be able to get a 320 for about $400 shipped.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
There's a used 320 in the "Hardware For Sale" section going for $400+shipping (I'm sure you can haggle a bit) -- I'm NOT the seller, just passing info on.

Also, you might consider buying a re-conditioned unit from HK directly--it carries the same original warranty, except the model number is 225-Z (the "Z" designating a refurbed unit) and price is a very nice $297+shipping.

I also know that JandR has them for $359 and you could probably get them to include shipping at that price.

At the under $400 price-point all receivers have compromises, so whether or not you can do "better" than the 225 really depends on what your needs are and what you'll want the receiver to do. I think the HKs, Denons, Marantzs and, though some may disagree, Yamahas are a notch above the rest soundwise. Personally I like the sound of HKs and Marantz over the Denons. Although, curiously I find that I actually like the sound of their lower end models like the 1602 as compared to their competition, far more than the 2802/3802 with their respective rivals. Go figure.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
you can get the refurbished HK avr 320 for $400 at Link Removed. its a little better than the 225, as it has dts-es, component switching, and a few other tweaks.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Jason,
I personally have demoed the HK extensively against the Onkyo's and the Panasonics and Kenwoods in the same price range ~500 and down. I have always liked the HK the best for pure sound quality out of those. I have listend to HK and Denon in separate stores, so it's tough to do a comparison, but Russ has given you his opinion. Sony is not in contention, b/c they don't get good until you get to the ES line. Your best bet of course is to go listen to them yourself if you can.
The HK 225 is what I would buy. I'm pretty sure you can get them from Onecall at that price. If you go in w/ some paperwork, some Circuit City's might let you have it at that price. *That would be a local B&M, but you need to provide some credible reasons for them to lower the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks