Is the HD Directv reciever worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Dugger, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Is Directv's High Def receiver worth shelling out the bucks for?

I understand that they only deliver a few channel in HD.

Dugger

2. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

DirecTV offers HBO-HD and HDNet. HDNet is an all HD network run by Mark Cuban... mainly sports, but other programming is on as well. HDNet will be offering some of the winter Olympics in HD too.

Peter

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

DirecTV is being acquired by Echostar. If the merger is OK'ed that could make ALL current DirecTV equipment obsolete. Due to the implementation of new hardware with a different recieving scheme for the DTV signal.

However, it's your choice if you want to roll the dice before the merger dust settles.

4. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The Direct TV HD receiver will also allow you to receive any over the air digital channels in your area, if available..Both CBS and ABC offers their Prime time line up in HD...NBC is slowly coming a long....That being said, only one HD channel is worth it

6. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

i dove head first in to the whole HD thing two weekends ago (WS65907 and SRHD400 w/sony oval dish). Saw my first 'in home' viewing of HD via HBO and HDnet last Wed (1/2/02). I love it, it feels great to have FINALLY brought HDTV in to my home. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Last night i hooked up a cheap generic RCA VHF/UHF ANT1020 to my Mits SR-HD5 and voila, i had my local OTA digital channels...FOX,ABC, and CBS came in quite well, with ABC looking amazing!

If you have the cash (credit) or the urge, and especially both... DO IT and DO IT NOW.

7. John Schmiedt

I bought a Sony SatHD100 a couple of months ago. There really is not that much on really. Enough to watch and be amazed every now & then. HDNet is great to show off your equipment. The Olympics should be nice. I read that the Super Bowl will be broadcast by Fox in some weird Fox enhanced 480p widescreen format.
    One thing that made me keep the HD receiver is that for some reason even the standard DTV stations look better to me. I suppose it's a combination of the fact that the receiver is now hooked up to the TV via component cables vice S-video. The HD100 also upconverts to 480p, but my TV also did that for the regular 480i signal. Still, it was enough of an improvement for me to keep it. I haven't seen too many others mention this though. Maybe it's just me and my way of convincing myself to spend the money. javascript:smilie('[​IMG]')
    wink

8. Michael St. Clair

If there is a merger, they are going to give everybody new receivers. They haven't promised new HD and PVR receivers, but it would be a PR nightmare if they did not. Costs will come way down to build HD and PVR receivers anyway. They have also acknowleged that it would probably take 3 years or so to transition, do not expect a bunch of obsolete hardware overnite.

9. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

Is it worth it. It really depends on you. I have the mitz HDTV Direct TV box and pioneer 710. We watch some of the movies on HBO, Band of brothers was great. The HDNet is awsome but its a loop of PBS type stuff with some Hawian Tropic Pagents THe sports are great but watching down hill bike riding gets old quick. When you see the picture you will be very pleased with the purchase. It really is nice to watch HDTV. We never watched regular tv but since we bought the HDTV box we watch Bernie Mack, Malcomn in the middle and 24 (on fox and 480 but a great picture) and something about ramond on CBS Before HDTV we hardly ever watched regular TV. The description I use is when we watched I think it was the MAsters I never new Tiger woods had so much acne before. ITS THAT CLEAR.

10. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

I would like to get NYC local HD programming. I currently have a Hughes Direct TV receiver and dish (and paying for the $30/month basic, my wife and I are not into premium channels...we prefer to rent DVDs). What HDTV receivers (without the dish) should I be shopping for? Model numbers and prices?

Also, what type of (powered) antenna should I get? I live in NJ, just a few miles from NYC.

Thanks!

Ricky