1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the gamecube component cable worth the extra $35?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex_Santos, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

I have a non HD Toshiba 32" TV and am currently using the Interact S-Video cable. Wondering if I will see a difference to warrant the extra price. Also, is there an aftermarket retailer selling this item or can you only get it from Nintendo? Thanks.

2. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I have a non HD JVC D Series 32" TV and personally, I think it's worth it. All three systems (PS2,GCN and Xbox) are connected via component and each benefit from it.

As far as an aftermarket retailer goes, I'm not aware of any, but if there is an authorized Nintendo service/repair center near you, they probably carry it, since they tend to stock the full line of replacement parts (albeit at the full retail price.)

3. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Gary, what are you using to run all of your component signals. Im assuming of course that your JVC does not have 3 inputs. Also, what differences do you see with the component cable. Thanks.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If your tv doesn't support 480p, the difference will be negligible. Even if it does, it will make a noticeable improvement only on games that support 480p.

-Dave

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Alex,

I use a JVC component video switcher. This is a passive device that runs around $70-$75 when you buy it online. It has three component video inputs plus two s-video/composite inputs. I have the PS2, GCN and Xbox connected to it and then run the output from that into one of the component inputs on my Panasonic A/V receiver. My DVD player is connected to the other component in on the receiver and the output from that goes to the solitary component in on the TV. I figure down the road when I upgrade to a widescreen HD set it will have multiple component inputs, but until then, this gets the job done.

As far as quality difference goes, I would say it's most pronounced with the Xbox, followed by the GameCube, then the PS2. In general, images are slightly sharper with less fringing and color-bleed (especially in text displays.)

Gary

6. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Only 2 people?

7. ChrisBurch

ChrisBurch Auditioning

I just got my component cables today, I see a huge diffrence, I was using composite because I didn't have a credit card to get component till last week. I've been playing Metroid and the picture quality is awesome, too bad no 16x9 support [​IMG]