Is the Fujitsu 63" Plasma the best

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kyle-R, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Kyle-R

Kyle-R Auditioning

Hello all, I know you are probably sick of us Newbie's but I am in desperate need of a 61"+ Plasma. We are moving into a new home and I want to christen it with a new TV. I am not looking for the best deal just the best Image quality you can find in a jumbo Plasma. I can pick up one of the new Black Bezel Fuji's for 9300.00 and have been tempted to take the plunge. I would love to hear from anybody that has experience with a big Fujitsu or any other brand that they think can compare. Thank you in advance for your help, Kyle

2. Don Dino

Don Dino Auditioning

I saw the Panasonic 65 inch commercial model, next generation (9UK series) plasma at the NAB convention in April. I think it's going to be very difficult to beat this model for image quality. I was told it would be available in the fall for about $11K.

Don

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The new Panasonic 65 is a glorious machine. I was chatting with one of the Panasonic people that I know, and I told him I'd much rather any of the 65" units that were surrounding the (albiet impressive) 107" monster. Didn't think to ask the price, though. Good blacks, very little black/gray noise, very good fill-factor (which actually revealed the big weakness of the 107" unit.)

Definitely the plasma to beat, right now.

Though that 56" LCD that Toshiba had was the LCD to beat on the show floor, Don.. (the roughly 4k screen.)

Leo

4. Don Dino

Don Dino Auditioning

I didn't get a chance to check out that Toshiba LCD, I'll have to remember to next time.

I agree that the 65" Panasonic did have better image quality than their 107". It's about $54K cheaper too. At this point, I don't think I've seen a better looking display than that 65 incher.

Don

5. Kyle-R

Kyle-R Auditioning

Thanks guys for the input. The problem is that I don't want to wait until Sept. or Oct. I need something now. You know how it is. So if anybody has any thoughts on the Fuji, I would love to hear them. Thanks again, Kyle

6. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Don, do you suppose they surrounded the 107" with 65" plasmas to make the 65"s look even better?

Kyle, sorry that we don't have anything useful to say about the Fujitsus... I've been looking at plasmas critically for years now, and the 'torch' of who has the best screen keeps getting passed around.

I would strongly recommend, however, taking a look at the Commercial series of Panasonic plasmas - even though the "next gen" isn't available just yet from them, it always struck me that their commercial screens were one or two generations ahead of their consumer screens in PQ.

Leo

7. Kyle-R

Kyle-R Auditioning

Thanks Leo, Kyle

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the 65 " Panasonic industrial is very sweet

9. Kyle-R

Kyle-R Auditioning

What is the model number of the 65" Industrial you are talking about Gregg? Thanks, Kyle

10. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Kyle:

Give the guys at TV Authority or Visual Apex a call. They will be able to give you the best choice for the money, with red carpet customer service and a great warranty to back it up.

Parker

12. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys
    Alan, the New Pioneer Elites are very nice...however the 1410 is 3 year old technology and is a rebadged NEC. It is not a very good panel.

13. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Kyle

There is a real good chance that Gregg is referring to the Panasonic TH-65PHD8UK. Larger screen than the Fujitsu and more than $1500 less expensive.

Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks

14. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

Yup, (or maybe the 65PHD7UY [​IMG] ) as the new "9" Series are not released yet.

15. Kyle-R

Kyle-R Auditioning

Which one of the Panasonics is the latest model? Thanks a bunch everybody, Kyle

16. Kyle-R

Kyle-R Auditioning

Oh yeah, one more thing. I noticed the contrast on the Panasonic was 3000:1 and the Fujitsu was 10,000:1. Doesn't that make a huge difference in quality. Thanks, Kyle

17. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

The 10,000:1 is a hyped dynamic contrast ratio used by Samsung and LG. Panasonic is doing the same on the new Models = up to 10,000:1

The real numbers are WAY lower than that.

FYI: The Fujitsu 63" Models use Samsung Glass (Plasma Panel)

18. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Actually, we are talking about the TH-65PHD9UK that we saw at either NAB-2006 in Las Vegas or Infocomm in Orlando.

Yes, it's not out yet in North America, but that doesn't stop them from showing the Japanese product line in major technology shows...

Leo

19. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks Leo, however, the original poster said he did not want to wait till September-October. So, TH-65PHD8UK for under $8,000, right now.

Artie