Is the Energy e:xl discontinued?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andy Kim, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

The Subject says it all. I remember in a few posts a while ago that this line was discontinued but I don't think it was really confirmed or not. The energy site still lists them in their product line.

I'm just getting confirmation before I decide to dive in a get some energy's.

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I was in a Goodguys after Christmas and they had their e:xl line prices slashed almost in half. I asked about that and they said the line was discontinued.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andy, that rumor has been flying around here. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case only because the e:XL line has been around a few years.

4. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Uh oh,

Looks like I better round up a matching center for my XL16s that currently aren't doing HT duty, for that hopeful day they are doing the bedroom HT thang.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

mctague, if you do buy an e:XL center speaker, I suggest you get the e:XL-C2 instead of the e:XL-C. I recently upgraded from the e:XL-C to the e:XL-C2, and the latter is a much better speaker. I have the e:XL-C2 paired with e:XL 16s as the mains and surrounds in my HT set-up.

6. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads-up KeithH,
    I noticed the C2 had bigger mid-bass drivers, and was wondering if the upgrade was worth it. Remember what the price differential was????
    Ohhhh, if only I could pull off upgrading the rears in my main HT....the dominoes would ALL fall into place. Take 5s get de-moted to bedroom, with XL16 & a newly aquired center up front...currently just lacking the center & a receiver for the bedroom. But there just isn't ANY decorator friendly way to get the speakers around the TV. Short of putting a plasma over the double doors.... [​IMG] or maybe one of those motorized retractable platforms hidden in a trunk at the foot of the bed....but I bet that costs almost as much as plasma. [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

mctague, no problem. Glad to help. Last time I looked, the e:XL-C and the e:XL-C2 sold new for $200 and $350, respectively. I lucked out in upgrading, as I was able to get a good deal on a trade-in. The dealer offered me $125 for my e:XL-C (18 months old, but in perfect condition) and then sold me the e:XL-C2 for $285. Other dealers would only give me $50 for the e:XL-C and would not discount the e:XL-C2. In any event, if you can swing it, get the e:XL-C2.

8. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Hey Keith what improvements have you noticed with the E:XL C2? Are you using the same power source you used with the C?
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

9. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

The e:XL series is discontinued.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Haywood,

I simply find the e:XL-C2 to provide more natural voices. The difference is especially apparent with multi-channel music, where I found the e:XL-C to be lacking. Just as some speakers are more revealing with music, I do find the e:XL-C2 to be more revealing with movies. I hear more effects during movies; effects that I didn't know were there when I had the e:XL-C, or if I did hear them with the e:XL-C, they are more realistic with the e:XL-C2. Simply put, the e:XL-C2 is a much better center speaker. If the e:XL-C2 were available when I was shopping for a surround-sound speaker package in April 2000, I'm sure I would have compared both models and gone with the e:XL-C.

I am still using a Sony STR-V444ES receiver with the e:XL-C2.

Marc,

Thanks for the info. Has Energy released or at least announced a replacement line? I am intrigued to see what Energy might come up with.

11. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hiya Keith

The whole line has been scrapped. They just introduced a new Connoisseur series but it's late showing up at our shop. I have a picture of them up on the 'Shop's website now.

There is a possibility that they might introduce two new models of speakers with an e:XL designation but no exact details at this time.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marc, thanks for the info. A new Connoisseur series? No kidding. I'll have to check them out on your site, even if you can't sell them to me in the US. [​IMG] I'd like to see and hear a new e:XL series, or maybe two series! Too bad I just replaced a pair of e:XL 16s in my second stereo system (which I bought from you in the fall of 2000) with a pair of e:XL 25s. The e:XL 25s are quite nice for the money, but I wish I had known that Energy was possibly going to update this line.

13. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Hey Marc,

Any idea when the new Connoiseur series will be in the store and how do you think they will stack up against the 22.3 model? I'm local and would like to check them out. I wonder why Energy doesn't have them on thier website?

14. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the info...what's your shop's URL? I can't seem to find it.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marc, in perusing your web site, I see that Energy has released the e:XL-S10.2 10" subwoofer. I have the e:XL-S10. Is there a big difference between the two from a performance standpoint? How about costwise?

On another subject, I see you sell Music Hall products. Have you had a chance to listen to their new CD player? How does it stack up to the competition? For $600 USD, it looks like a great player inside and out.

17. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Sorry for the delay - I was over at Audio Asylum - love reading the music forum there.
    Keith,
    We won't see the Music Hall CD player in Canada for a few months, heck we haven't even got the MMF7 yet [​IMG]
    S10.2 - bigger amp at 150 watts, aluminum powder woofer cone, vortex like ports for lower noise and reduced chuffing, controls on the front. Price went up $150.00CAN at list.
    Sean,
    They are late arriving.
    Were supposed to be instock just before Christmas, then last week but now should be the first week of February. They had them on display in Vegas but not hooked up. Radically updated from the 22.3 in every way.
    I'll try and get the specs up on the site when I get back in the shop on Wednesday.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marc, thanks for the info. I will have to check out the e:XL-S10.2 subwoofer at a local dealer. One of these days, I may move my e:XL-S10 to my second stereo system (e:XL 25s, NAD C 350 integrated amp) and replace it with a better subwoofer for the home theater/main stereo systems. I am considering SVS subwoofers, but they are big. I'm no "bass head". [​IMG] The e:XL-S10.2 may be a good alternative.
    By the way, to connect the e:XL-S10 subwoofer to the NAD C 370 integrated amp in my main stereo system, I am using an Energy Active Crossover (EAC) Network. Are you familiar with it? I bought it from a local Energy dealer for $230 USD, but I never hear anything about it. It works well for me. Do you know if Energy still makes it? I would need another one if I want to integrate a subwoofer into my second stereo system. Thanks in advance.

19. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

That was an awesome crossover; wish they still made it but no.

You will find that will hold it's value well.

It was designed to feed two subs; it's got two line outs on it.

20. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Marc. I'll call the shop next month sometime to see if they are in.