What's new

Is the dvd-a REM greatest hits available? (1 Viewer)

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
The site lists it as coming out yesterday but does anyone see it anywhere? If anyone has it posts your thoughts please!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
HFR reports a last minute production change, and that the titles will be on retailers shelves in the next few days.

Regards,

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a copy from CircuitCity.com for 13.99. I've been looking at their site every day for the past week and today was the first day it showed in stock.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Picked this up at my local Best Buy today for $13.99. According to the back of the case:

- Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 Surround Sound
- Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit) (verified)
- Advanced Resolution Stereo (192kHz/24-bit) (verified)

Just to reiterate, the surround track is 96kHz, and the stereo track is 192kHz according to my Pioneer 563-A.

I don't have a digital cable hooked up to my DVD-Audio player so I can't verify the DTS output, but it is in the setup options so I'm assuming it's there.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Some of the R.E.M stereo stuff was mixed to digital at 48 kHz, but I'm glad to see them going for the highest common denominator with the DVD-Audio. I just saw a few copies at my local Best Buy as well, so I guess it won't be a couple of weeks after all. :)

Regards,

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Best Of R.E.M. IN VIEW does have a DTS track. And it sounded good to me.
There is a subtitles option in the menu but it seemed to only apply to some spoken interludes, not the songs. Everybody Hurts has subtitles, which are sometimes song lyrics and sometimes "thought balloons" for the characters in the video. These are not affected by any setting in the menu or on my remote.
The snapper case refuses to. :frowning:

Jim

EDIT: Sorry, I did not notice DVD-A in the topic header.
There's always a good chance I have NO idea what you're talking about.

George See

Second Unit
Everybody Hurts has subtitles, which are sometimes song lyrics and sometimes "thought balloons" for the characters in the video. These are not affected by any setting in the menu or on my remote.
Those are in the video itself always have been they are part of the video.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Ordered mine from Circuit City but it's taking its sweet time getting here.

I picked it up yesterday, and I think it sounds great. I only listen to stereo, so I can only comment on the 2-channel DVD-A mix. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never owned any REM before, as I was waiting for a greatest hits. I don't see (hear) much a difference at 192kHz vs. 96kHz vs. 48kHz., they all sound so much better than traditional CD.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I picked this up last week at Tower Records in Burlington, MA. Have only listened to the 5.1 mix and liked it alot. 2 new songs which are great, "Bad Day" and "Animal". Includes the video for "Bad Day" as well as the making of. Only complaint so far is the track "The Great Beyond" which is little boomy. Unfortunate as I really love that song. I would recommend it on the whole.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Overall, I would consider this disc as above-average. Bass is pretty weak in most of the songs, especially when you compare the tracks from AFTP to the same tracks on the actual DVD-A of AFTP. Also, IMO, "Ebow The Letter" seems VERY compressed and limited compared to the other tracks. The track almost made me leap off the sofa due to the loudness of it.

BTW, this post is brought to you by the word "acronym" :)

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Shiny Happy People ?

The One I Love ?

Are we light here ? Are these gonna be on Vol. 2 ?

It's a Christmas present hidden under the bed for me... Shhhh.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I'm extremely disappointed because Radio Song was left off. I thought that was a big hit for them (and used in the movie "Singles").

Where's Shiny Happy People as well? These are all songs from 1991 album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks