What's new

is the DLS Sub powerful enough for large room? (1 Viewer)

MichaelMOS

Agent
my room is about 16X17 which i guess isn't extremely big but i need to know if the DLS wil be able to fill the room. My choice of sub is the Sony WM40 or the DLS. What provides more accurate bass, a modded sony or a stock DLS? I am leaning toward the DLS at the moment.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Where do you plan on loading your new sub? Guess you would know I would recommend the DLS over the Sony. Both are great Budget subs but the DLS is like 4% better imo. Factoring in cost and looks I would give it more of a advantage. Will it be corner loaded and if so how close to seating. What % HT -V- Music?____________________>>
Yes the DLS would be able to fill the room no problem and the rest of the house at the same time if you have openings? No problem what-soever.

MichaelMOS

Agent
I have 2 places i could put it. This is a bedroom so the main listening area would be on a bed.

I could put it at about a 17 degree angle from my listening area which would be about 10.5 feet away from me. It would be close to a corner but not in the corner because there is a door there. I guess it would be best facing the wall?

i could also put it about 6 feet to my right and then i would be able to put in the corner.

It would probably be 70 percent HT. I dont like boomy subs, i want something tight but for a budet. I have about 250 to spend on it including shipping but i would like to spend less if possible.

It would be matched up with a JBL N setup with 2 floorstanding, N center, and 2 N24II in the back.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
My DLS sub is in the basement in corner about 12 feet from where I sit. It seems to work fie there. One thing to thik about is that if the DLS or the Soy, for that matter aren't enoughfor you, then how much will a significant improvement cost? I on't know if here is anything inbetween the subs metioned and, let's say an Adir Rave, Hsu VTF-2, or the smallest SVS. These start (new) at $400.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
A bedroom all closed up. The DLS will fill your room no problem at all. I run the DLS in a 24X12 room with 10' ceilings and many openings. I have been very surprised and impressed what the "Mighty Little DLS" can do for the $$. I am sure you could find a better sub for $250, but how much better would it be? It would be a short list I would think. It would really be something to run duel for $250. You will not Find the DLS a boomy sub. 70% HT? I would try the position six ft away from your bed in the corner one ft out from the wall first. Sounds very promising. The gain on the back of the sub is very sensitive between 35-45%. You will not need to turn the gain on the DLS up like one might think.__________________________>>

There are times when I am running the DLS and I say to myself "Did I turn my Velo's off"? Sounds odd I know but I have the DLS in the most optimal corner in my HT. It extends quit well to around 28. Yes my Velo's go much lower and I would not give up the extension but most of the bass on DVD's is on the above side. My kids were watching the haunting yesterday> "A more extreme bass loaded DVD" and I switched on over to the DLS and WOW! Now I could tear up the DLS with my Velo's if I wanted by cranking things up to -10 or -5 but I don't have a need to go there very often. If you do decide to go with the DLS and give it a try and decided I am full of bunk and the DLS is to, you could send it back no questions asked. I would bet a dollar you would be very impressed for the $$ though. I have said this before but its worth repeating. When I speak of the DLS I am always speaking in terms of a budget sub. If you want the extension you will have to pay. I do and need to have it but still think the DLS in it's own category is a sub that will be hard to beat. :emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I used to own the Sony sub and thought it was a very good sub for the money. I did borrow it back to see how the DLS would fair out against it. I never have herd the Sony with the modded option though. When I took the amp out of the DLS the first thing I noticed was that the DLS comes stock with the modded option. The SPL capability advantage of the DLS would probably be even a little more yet if one were to mod the Sony??

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You could go for the Parts Express 10" Titanic subwoofer kit with the 250w amplifier and pre-built cabinet. All you need to do is mount the little feet, add the amplifier, and stick the woofer in there, and you now have a subwoofer that is capable of going down to 24Hz, and with tightness and definition on account of the sealed box. And you can impress your buddies with the Titanic driver's large excursion.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Rory if you have the Titanic 10" sub could you give me your impression of it? I would really appreciate it and maybe Michael would to? I recognize your name but can not place your name with the sub you run.

MichaelMOS

Agent
hmmm, it looks interesting but since i am only a poor high school student, i dont think i have the money to buy something that expensive considering i just upgraded all my speakers and bought a computer system before that. I still have to save up for a new receiver and maybe a new tv.

i think the dls should be fine.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If that is the rout you go Michael be sure to let us know your impressions if you can? I think you will find the DLS more sub than what you would expect for $99.80_______I know I was not expecting very much in SPL or sound. Sounds like by the time your my age you will have some sort of system I could only dream of.:frowning: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - I guess I'll give 'em a yell, and get a DLS - Heard an unmodded Sony at Best Buy on Friday, and it seemed a bit boomy, but otherwise wasn't all that bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.