What's new

Is the Denon dcm-370 reliable ?? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a new cd changer and I am considering
the following models .

Denon dcm-370
Marantz cc4300
sony cdp-ca70es

I have heard that the Denon has flimsy drawer mechanics
and that some people have had problems with it.
I want a changer that will sound good and last for
many years.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with first hand
experience with the Denon unit.

Thanks in advance !!

Robert

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I have the Denon '370, though it is not my primary CD player. I primarily use it for recording CDs to minidiscs. The build quality of the '370 could be better, but for the $250 I paid (new in sealed box), I can't really complain. I have never had problems with the unit. Also, the sound is good for the price. The '370 is a warm-sounding player, which you don't usually find in a budget player. However, in some respects, it is too warm. The mid-range and bass can be a bit muddy. I must admit that I am often comparing it to more expensive players like the Sony SCD-C555ES, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, and Sony SCD-777ES.

I don't own the Sony 'CA70ES, but it is a very good player in this price range. It gives a more detailed sound than the Denon changer in my experience, however, it is not bright or harsh. Obviously some people like the detailed sound, while others like the warm sound. I once owned the 'CA80ES (two of them, actually), which was a step-up model to the 'CA70ES, and very much liked its detailed sound. The 'CA70ES isn't as good as the 'CA80ES, but it isn't that far off. The 'CA80ES is no longer made, but again, the 'CA70ES is a capable player and is worthy of consideration.

As for the Marantz CC4300, I haven't heard it, but I have heard the older CC4000 and CC4000OSE. The older Marantz changers were on the warm side, and I preferred the Sony ES models when I did some comparisons a couple of years ago. I don't think I ever got to compare the Marantz units to the Denon '370. In any event, it would not surprise me if the CC4300 were on the warm side as well, as that is Marantz's "tradition", so to speak.

In the end, try to compare all three models. All three have their strengths and weaknesses, and again, you will have to see if you prefer warmth or detail. Again, a detailed player is not necessarily bright or harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks