What's new

Is the Denon AVR-1804 worth it or is there a better reciever in that Price range? (1 Viewer)

salim_N

Grip
I was almost sold on the 1804 but upon closer inspection I have a couple of new concerns.
-It has a Fixed Point Melody DSP instead of a floating point Melody HH SHARC DSP.
-Does not have dts 96/24 5.1 for DVD-Video Processing
-A/D Conversion of 24/48. (would prefer 24/96)
-Component BW of only 30 MHZ (not a big deal since I prefer to bipass the receiver for S/component video connections to avoid signal degradation.

It looks like a great buy, even comparable to the 2803 in many ways (same power, DSP features), but seems also like the poor man's alternative. Am I wrong? Should I trust Denons reputation for making quality products or is there a better alternative? (I've ruled out the Sony sdr-995).
Price range: $400
Speakers: Energy Take 5.2, JBL PB-10

Sal

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy with the 1803 running my bedroom system. With Take 5s, you'll be more than adequately served.

salim_N

Grip
A better question is; Will I be getting a sub-par sound out of my speakers? Is it worth it to spend the extra $200 for the 2803 and get the best out of the Energys?

CurtisC

Second Unit
For the same money you ain't gonna beat Denon,just squeeze as much as you can to get the best model.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I like Denon, I own two of them. But to address your concerns have you looked at the Onkyo TX-SR601?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks