What's new

Is the Dayton 10" prebuilt sub upgradeable? (1 Viewer)

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm talking about talking about the $130 from parts express. I was wondering If those are upgradeable because I want to build a budget sub and I here only good things about them. I was wondering if they can be upgraded like by changing the driver, and amp easily. Is it hard.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I would say the driver should be reasonably easy to upgrade, the amp less so.

Woofer sizes are a lot more standardized than plate amplifier sizes. Either one needs the right size cutout in the cabinet to make the good seal that's required. Sure, with either, you could add a board on top of the existing baffle with a new hole, if your upgraded parts are too small, but that gets ugly.

Personally, I would not bother to upgrade both the amp AND woofer in a $130 subwoofer. By that point you have spent as much or more than an entire new subwoofer. The only time I can see this happening was if it had a cabinet to die for, like a fine piece of furniture. I don't think that's the case with this $130 Dayton. If a few years down the road, the driver died, I might replace it, but if the amp died, I don't think I would, because that's likely at least 75% the cost of a whole new unit.

Aaron Gilbert

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Michael,

I have one of the older versions of this sub. I would imagine the you would find this satisfactory as is. By the time it dies, you'll likely be ready for someting bigger.

I've been lurking here for a month or so because I'm using my sub in an open basement, and would like a bigger one. I just don't want to pay too much for it. I hope to build something in the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks