Is the Dayton 10" prebuilt sub upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MichaelBAr, Jan 22, 2004.

1. MichaelBAr

MichaelBAr Stunt Coordinator

I'm talking about talking about the $130 from parts express. I was wondering If those are upgradeable because I want to build a budget sub and I here only good things about them. I was wondering if they can be upgraded like by changing the driver, and amp easily. Is it hard.

2. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I would say the driver should be reasonably easy to upgrade, the amp less so.

Woofer sizes are a lot more standardized than plate amplifier sizes. Either one needs the right size cutout in the cabinet to make the good seal that's required. Sure, with either, you could add a board on top of the existing baffle with a new hole, if your upgraded parts are too small, but that gets ugly.

Personally, I would not bother to upgrade both the amp AND woofer in a $130 subwoofer. By that point you have spent as much or more than an entire new subwoofer. The only time I can see this happening was if it had a cabinet to die for, like a fine piece of furniture. I don't think that's the case with this $130 Dayton. If a few years down the road, the driver died, I might replace it, but if the amp died, I don't think I would, because that's likely at least 75% the cost of a whole new unit.

Aaron Gilbert

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Michael,

I have one of the older versions of this sub. I would imagine the you would find this satisfactory as is. By the time it dies, you'll likely be ready for someting bigger.

I've been lurking here for a month or so because I'm using my sub in an open basement, and would like a bigger one. I just don't want to pay too much for it. I hope to build something in the spring.