What's new

Is the crossover quality on the PE 300-794 good for stereo listening? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hi all!

I was wondering. When used on an HT, the receiver does all crossover work in the digital domain, sending low frequencies to the sub and high frequencies to all satellite speakers.

I don't use my sub like that. I have a stereo amp with no crossover, and run a line-out cable to my sub. Basically, I'm running my main speakers unfiltered, and use the crossover sub as a low-pass filter.

What if I decided to use the hi-pass line filter on the 300-794, therefore having a hi-pass filter to my speakers? I have thought about it, but I really don't know much about the quality of that filter. Is it of a good quality? Should I just still run my system's main speakers unfiltered to get the sound quality...? I'm not really sure...

Thanks for your help!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about the overall sound quality of the PE amp, but it will certainly sound better than using no XO at all.

If you already have an amp to drive the sub, why not get a stand-alone electronic crossover?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Isn't it just a 100uf or so bipolar electrolytic between the speaker in and speaker out? That may be undesirable. An active crossover providing a 2nd or 4th order highpass may be a better idea if it fits into your budget. Or to be simple, you could try adding a film cap at the input of your amp, but that would only be a 6db/oct rolloff.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hi all!

I did try the crossover filter on the amp. The short answer to my original question is... NO. The crossover *killed* the sound quality of my mains, plain and simple. It smeared the sound... killed the highest of the highs, and made the midrange muddy.

I adjusted the sub to "fill in" the lowest octaves. The sound is awesome now - since my speakers are ported, I guess both crossovers (electronic low pass and acoustic high pass) are working nicely.

Maybe we could describe which amps have nice high pass crossovers, so as to use them in stereo systems. FWIW, the PE 300-794 leaves a lot to be desired in this respect.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
See if u can find a Audiocontrol Phase coupled Activator. There a nice X-over with subsonic and Bass restoration.
Or a Richter scale. U can also use a car audio one if u have a power supply

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Hello Javier.

Are you talking about the Margules ARCH-1? I dont remember if you bought it. Anyway, I have the same Integrated and run my sub in parallel with my mains. I discovered that if I used a pre out to feed the sub I was losing some dB's in the output.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hola Manuel, todavía por aquí??? :) Que gusto encontrarte!

Yes, I used it with the ACRH-1, and I do have to run it in parallel with my mains. I do not lose any dB's, but the whole thing sounds terrible!

Next week, I'll finish my HED-12 based subwoofers, BTW. I will tell you how it all went.

Javier.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Javier,

Gusto en saludarte tambien. I dont know in which sense the sound is horrible?

Which sub are you using right now?

What happened to your Tempest?

Oh, and Im interested in your results!

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
When using the 300-794 in line crossover (RCA In - Out) sound is not as good as when using the sub just to "fill in" the lower notes.

I have the sub amp connected to the Margules' 2nd preamp outputs, and left the jumpers plugged in. So basically, I run the mains full-range and the sub fills in below 60 Hz.

The mains are the Margules A3.2, btw :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks