What's new

is the cp72 the same as rp82? (1 Viewer)

Chris Strasz

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking for the rp82 with no luck. I've heard that the cp72 is the same as the rp82 minus the fact that it changes discs where the rp82 doesn't.

Are there any other differences? (Particularly in picture quality) or are these 2 identical for the most part except that for the changer?

If so i may just get this as i don't see a reason to wait up for the rp82.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
From what I have read, the chips and the picture quality are the same.

By the way, I have the XP50 on order, which has the exact same chips, but, I have discovered to my chagrin, is said to have lesser picture quality than the 82 and 72 ... Now I'm thinking of returning the XP and getting the 72.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
So besides the changer (which I want anyway), the CP72 is the same player as the RP82 that has gotten all the raves?

What other 5 disc changers come close to this in terms of picture quality, and no Chroma Bug (if someone could explain the Chroma Bug, I'd appreciate it....

Thanks,
Mike

Tom Borcherding

Auditioning
Mike,
I too had the question about the chroma bug, by doing a search of HTF, eventually I found a link to everything you'll ever want to know about it. Here it is:
chroma bug
Hope this helps,
Tom

Mike Fenech

Agent
I picked up a 72 the other day once I gave up searching for an 82. Since it's the same picture quality-wise, i had nothing to lose in getting one. And I can always return it to the local Circuit City if something better is announced at CES. Be nice if it was in black, but it still beats the pants off my Tosh 5109, which it the important part. ;)

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
I had the CP72 for about a week but returned it because it was just too deep for my cabinet. The picture quality was as good as I've ever seen (including the Denon 3800 IMHO).

I then bought the XP50 (for 212.99 shipped from Crutchfield after discounts!) hoping that I would get the same picture in a smaller, better built chassis. The build quality didn't disappoint, but the PQ (even after extra tweaking with Avia) just didn't measure up. I could not get the colors to look as vibrant and the relative lack of color depth reduced the 3D look I had with the CP72. Discovering that it wouldn't show chapter and elapsed time information on VCDs like the CP72 did was the deciding factor and I sent the XP50 back as well. It does have the same mpeg decoder and FLI2200 deinterlacer as the CP72/RP82, so the difference in PQ is indeed puzzling.

I almost wish I had kept the CP72, but there were several aspects of it I'm hoping to improve on (PQ is not one of them).

I'm looking forward to hearing what comes out of the CES this week.

By the way, I found a RP82 today for 219.99, but the store has a lousy return policy (store credit only), so I'm holding off for now.

Tim

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Tosh 5109 one of the first PS players that originaly sold for $999 I bought it a year later for half that and thought it (the picture)could not get any better! Then I hear about the Panny 82/72 units and the chipsets in them.
I also was considering a new receiver purchase so I could enjoy DTS as my ONK only had a DD decoder but had the analog inputs for a external decoder.
I was wrong....when I first played one of my reference discs I was astounded at the difference in picture quality on my almost 3 yr old Sony KP53HS10 I thought I had a new display. One of the big bonuses was my wife even was very impressed!
THEN I put in my Eagles HFO DTS/PCM disc and I was blown away at the detail in the DTS mix (I know some are better than others) but we were quite impressed again.
I do feel that the build quality issue is maybe questionable but even the $1000 Tosh 5109 was a light unit and the 2-disc plastic changer was CHEAP.
BUT for $185 the 72 rocks my world and my house I have had no problems since before Christmas when purchased except not reading the manual and figuring things out.
Just my impressions so far.
Kevin

Max.D

Auditioning
The video chips are the same, there are some minor feature differences (according to Panasonic's website).

Well, Tim's right, the site does have inaccuracies.
So, uh, nevermind.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
If you take a peek at the AVS Forum you will find many posts that confirm that Panasonic's website contains many inaccuracies.

For starters, ALL DVD players convert the signal to 4:4:4 - that's the standard.

Tim

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
The RP-62 uses the DCDi deinterlacer, but an inferior mpeg decoder (same as XP30), even though it's also made by MEI.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks