Is The Color Purple Special Edition dvd EDITED?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jorossy, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

When visiting the digital bits website, they listed TCP as a director's cut. I immediately became concerned (being how Spielberg butchered E.T.). Sure enough when I went to dvdempire.com it lists both dvd's. The original has a running time of 154 minutes and is rated PG-13. The special edition's running time is 152 minutes and is not rated. Dvdplant's site list the same thing except the rating is PG.

If the running time is true and this is indeed a 'director's cut', you can probably guess what scene is being omitted or heavily edited. The movie contains numerous acts of abuse on women: mental, sexual, emotional and definitely physical. However a scene of implied lesbianism--or what I call the "Ms. Celie being made love to for the 'first' time" scene--I guess would be way over the top for small children (if they are watching this movie at all). Also if this scene is cut, if it's the one I'm thinking, how would you explain the scenes where Celie follows Shug Avery a lot, fainting when Shug leaves and Celie spitting in her father-in-law's water because he insulted her. I hope that these are errors based on incorrect preliminary information. If this info is correct though, I'd rather have the 'flipper' edition.

If I'm totally wrong, please blame the left over egg nog mixed with cheap champagne. Happy Friggin New Year.

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I sure hope you are wrong, because many, many people are going to be very disappointed if we get a censored version of the film after such a long wait for an SE.
    Of course, if that happens, it's no sale for me. [​IMG]

3. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I hope not either because I waited this long to not buy the flipper version.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. Here's why I think that way:
    1) Indeed, at DVDEmpire you can go to the picture of the back of the box for the first DVD, and verify that Warner stamped "154 minutes" onto the back bottom.
    2) In Warner's press database you can look up info for the SE DVD, and see it says "152 minutes" in the press materials. Seems like reason to worry so far. BUT...
    3) ...If you go to Warner's press database entry for the original DVD, it ALSO says "152 minutes". So the mistake was probably made with the first entry, and that entry was copied for the new release since everyone at Warner knows they have the same running time. And the sites took the info of 152 minutes from the erroneous database entry, rather than from the OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE.
    4) "Wait, Dave...what does the Official Press Release say?" Um, the Official Press Release for The Color Purple - SE says it will run for 154 minutes. AND that it is rated PG-13 (info that isn't in the main Warner database entry...you gotta dig for it). Read the Press Release yourself! [​IMG] I bolded the important parts:
    I hope this relaxes everyone. Happy New Years!!

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've checked four different film reference books and each book list the running time of "The Color Purple" as 152 minutes. I know that IMDB has been known to post inaccurate information from time to time. Now, if this is indeed a director's cut then the press release stating 154 minutes makes sense.

Crawdaddy

6. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the detective work David. I feel better now. Maybe this country should hire you to find Bin Laden; then again, as they say, "Ain't no money in it."

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

E.T. was not butchered IMHO. That's awfully strong language for a film particularly since you got both version on DVD. Your Bin Laden comment is uncalled for also. Happy New Year.

8. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Also considering that Speilberg released both Versions of ET because he didn't want the new version to be the preferred one. I would expect him to do the same with all his movies. And people, don't bring this into a Lucas Star Wars fight, those are getting old.

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I think I'll wait for an in depth review before I buy. If it ends up being edited, I'll simply keep my CAV Laserdisc.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Peter, I agree that the E.T. DVD was not "butchered", since the original version of the film was included.
    However, I'm not sure why you found the Bin Laden comment "uncalled for"; I was simply being complimented on my investigative skills! I do appreciate the compliment, too! [​IMG]
    Crawdaddy, I will repeat the fact that the original "flipper" DVD for TCP lists the running time on the back of the box as 154 minutes, so it's safe to assume that both DVD releases will contain the same cut of the film. No matter what the books say the running time really is! :wink:

11. Robert Crawford

Robert

Yes, I realized that after my earlier post when I looked at my copy of the dvd later this morning. Perhaps, I will time the dvd to see which is correct the box or the books.

Crawdaddy

12. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I am so happy that this release is finally happening (I've held off on purchasing the current release because of the frequent SE rumors). I remember when I saw it for the first time back in 1986: I was a "tough" 17 year-old, so I couldn't believe it when found myself crying like a baby through a good part of the film. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so this DVD is going to bring back some memories.

13. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Spielberg has said in past interviews that he felt he was too timid (and regrettably so) when it came to the lesbian material in The Color Purple. There is no way he would allow a "special edition" to be released that would actually cut down on the material that already exists related to that subject.
    I don't think there's anything to be concerned with here. I'm confident that the new SE will be the original theatrical version of the film, and I for one am eagerly anticipating the chance to get it in my DVD player!
    [​IMG]

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    An updated excerpt from DigitalBits:

15. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

According to IMDB there’s a slightly extended version of The Color Purple! I’ve never heard of this discarded footage. Extended Version