Is the Cary Audio D-3 DVD player good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by fredi wiesner, Nov 19, 2001.

1. fredi wiesner

In search for a new high-end CDP which is a DVDP too, I read about the Cary Audio D-3 DVD player.
    Did anyone audit this unit, and how is the sound compared to the Cary Audio 303 CD player?
    http://www.flash.net/~jf356/caryd3.htm

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I just sold my Cary CD-303 CDP last week, had it for just over a year. The main reason I sold it was that it quite simply did'nt beat the sound of my Classe DAC's in my SSP-25 pre/pro. So I traded in the Cary for a speaker upgrade.
    Anyway, I would look in to the Camelot Roundtable DVD player which has had excellent reviews rather than buy the Cary. My Cary dealer said that they had problems with many of the original DVD players they made, for what it's worth.
    I also don't think the Cary DVDP is progressive. For $3K it should be. The Denon 2800 is also a fine player although the Chroma bug is an issue. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. fredi wiesner

Thanks Frank for the reply, it looks like Cary is a real rarity here.

All my audiophile advisors, tell me not to mix up the CD with the DVD and to buy a CDP stand alone, if i want great sound. Or to add the Bel-Canto DAC.