1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Candidate coming from Warner Archive?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Reggie W, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I was flipping through channels last night and stumbled across The Candidate showing on TCM in a glorious looking new transfer that blew the crappy DVD version I own out of the water. I recall reading somebody saying that often when a new HD transfer of a Warner film pops up on TCM that it means it is coming soon to Blu-ray. Anybody know if that is the case?

As we enter a new presidential election season in 2020 it would be perfect timing to release this picture on Blu. I've always found this a fantastic film about running for office and a role tailor made for Robert Redford to play. I'd long hoped Criterion would do this one but Warner Archive would be fine if that is where this is coming from. I've always found this film to contain one of Redford's great performances as the rather flawed and seemingly growing more flawed as he goes senatorial candidate Bill McKay. Wonderfully directed by Michael Ritchie from a great biting script from Jeremy Larner with a fantastic supporting cast this is definitely a picture deserving of a release on Blu-ray.

Bill McKay.
    candidate.

2. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I wouldn't count on it - the HD master has been around for years on various movie channels.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Ah, I had never seen it before and just stumbled upon it and the picture was at least half over when I happened to land on it. I was just stunned how much better it looked as compared to the DVD. Well, I hope Warner Archive does do this one, it is an excellent film and one of Redford's best.

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Ha, only one answer...you never know, it might be.

A couple of years ago I saw a beautiful HD transfer of Annie Get Your Gun (1950) & Little Women (1949) on TV, & thought, it won't be long before they're released. I'm thinking that there's a lot of great looking HD transfers & restorations that haven't had a Blu-ray release, & maybe won't ever get one.

5. mark brown

mark brown Stunt Coordinator

Criterion, are you reading this?

6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Michael Ritchie remains underrepresented on Blu-ray. THE CANDIDATE (Warner Bros), BAD NEWS BEARS (Paramount :(). SMILE (UA/MGM - can Kino get this?). Unfortunately, after SEMI-TOUGH he arguably began his slow slide into bad movies until his very untimely death at age 63. I'd love to see THE CANDIDATE come to us through WAC.