Is The Candidate coming from Warner Archive?

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was flipping through channels last night and stumbled across The Candidate showing on TCM in a glorious looking new transfer that blew the crappy DVD version I own out of the water. I recall reading somebody saying that often when a new HD transfer of a Warner film pops up on TCM that it means it is coming soon to Blu-ray. Anybody know if that is the case?

As we enter a new presidential election season in 2020 it would be perfect timing to release this picture on Blu. I've always found this a fantastic film about running for office and a role tailor made for Robert Redford to play. I'd long hoped Criterion would do this one but Warner Archive would be fine if that is where this is coming from. I've always found this film to contain one of Redford's great performances as the rather flawed and seemingly growing more flawed as he goes senatorial candidate Bill McKay. Wonderfully directed by Michael Ritchie from a great biting script from Jeremy Larner with a fantastic supporting cast this is definitely a picture deserving of a release on Blu-ray.

Bill McKay.jpg

candidate.jpg

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I wouldn't count on it - the HD master has been around for years on various movie channels.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I wouldn't count on it - the HD master has been around for years on various movie channels.
Ah, I had never seen it before and just stumbled upon it and the picture was at least half over when I happened to land on it. I was just stunned how much better it looked as compared to the DVD. Well, I hope Warner Archive does do this one, it is an excellent film and one of Redford's best.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, only one answer...you never know, it might be.

A couple of years ago I saw a beautiful HD transfer of Annie Get Your Gun (1950) & Little Women (1949) on TV, & thought, it won't be long before they're released. I'm thinking that there's a lot of great looking HD transfers & restorations that haven't had a Blu-ray release, & maybe won't ever get one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Michael Ritchie remains underrepresented on Blu-ray. THE CANDIDATE (Warner Bros), BAD NEWS BEARS (Paramount :(). SMILE (UA/MGM - can Kino get this?). Unfortunately, after SEMI-TOUGH he arguably began his slow slide into bad movies until his very untimely death at age 63. I'd love to see THE CANDIDATE come to us through WAC.

Reactions: Reggie W

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been waiting for this one on blu-ray for a while. I noticed there is a listing for this on blu-ray dot com, which (correct me if I'm wrong) usually means there is a disc that's coming.

I agree 2020 would be the perfect time for a release -- not to mention the recent Watchmen HBO series, in which Redford is the long-serving president!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've been waiting for this one on blu-ray for a while. I noticed there is a listing for this on blu-ray dot com, which (correct me if I'm wrong) usually means there is a disc that's coming...
No, it doesn't mean anything - a lot of their listings are just placeholders. They have one for Song of the South, as well, and we all know how likely that is to ever see the light of day.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious