Is the cable different between RCA and Component?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Tim_, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Is the cable different between RCA and Component? They look exactly the same to me. Please shade some light into this. I hate to waste my money on a new set of cable just rename to Component.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Component cables are for video and MUST be 75 Ohm for them to work properly, so not any old RCA cable will work. That doesn't mean you need to spend $200 on them. For most of your cable needs you can check out www.bluejeanscables.com

3. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

I never used Component connection before. Is there a great deal of improvement in video quality that is visible?

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

A slight increase over s-video. Definitely not as big of a difference as composite to s-video I think the % improvement is usually given to be:

10% composite
    20% s-video
    25% component

Could be wrong though.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Picture quality won't really improve with component over s-vid, but color will. To me it's worth it.

Is this for an HD display? If so, to get progressive scan you must use component or DVI/HDMI.

If it's just an analog set with an interlaced player, s-vid should be fine.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dvi/hdmi passes progressive scan? i didn't realize that...guess that makes sense....

7. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, John Garcia. A new lesson for me. I'll remember that when I get a HD. Fow now I'm still on my 50" projection TV.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There CAN be a dramatic improvement over Composite. If you have a Sat system or a CATV box with a menu system, try hooking booth types of connections up and toggle back and forth.

Look at the long, straight lines in the menu system. With composite, you will see little black dots 'crawl' on the lines. Svideo will remove nearly all of these and Component even more.

If you have a DVD movie with lots of bright colors like Austin Powers or one of the Toy Story movies, freeze things on a scene with large areas of color that intersect other colors. Toggle between the connection types and you should notice that with the component feed, the colors remain thicker/more solid all the way to where it intersects some other color. With the composite feed, the color will start to dim near the intersection.