Is the BBB of great use in resolving issues or is an attorney better?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Wade, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I don't want to go into great depths about our problem but I will give some details.

Right now we are dealing with a window coverings company that is a member of the BBB. About a year ago we purchased wood shutters for every window in the house. This in my mind was a substantial investment. One year later and after many unanswered phone calls, no shows by them, and botched repairs we are left with two windows uncovered (temps in place), three large windows with panels that need replacing, one window that the shutter wont even close and one window that needs complete replacement. There are a few other items that need attention but these are small in comparison. This company refuses to call us back and let us know when they will fix things. We always have to initiate the calls and we still get the runaround (we'll call you tomorrow then no call). Or they have some lame excuse as to why they couldn't make it. We have threatened the better business bureau twice now but it doesn't seem to phase them. My wife and I can't agree on the resolution we want to tell the BBB. She wants all the money back because she never wants to deal with this company again. They are that bad at following up on any warranty work and she's worried about future repairs. The coverings are supposed to be warranted for as long as we are in the house.

I believe what is going on here is that we are being ignored in favor of their new business. This is totally unacceptable as most of these issues were brought to their attention over six months ago. I'm a I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I believe any new contact with them will have to be through the BBB or an attorney. I'm starting to think the latter of the two is the way to go.

That was more in depth than I wanted to go but at least I didn't post the three page write up my wife has put together [​IMG]

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Wade

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Just my opinion of but I think the best way to go is the legal route.

If the money isn't that much you could always go to small claims court.

3. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,

I believe any way we choose to go puts us out of small claims court territory. Just the cost of the affected windows is above what a small claims court allows.

My wife and I are tired of waiting on this company. We have put off things like painting for so long now. We live in a new home but the shutters don't show it. One of the windows with the temporary paper cover is visible from the street. I'm surprised the HOA hasn't gotten onto us yet about this.

The real kicker here is that the replacement shutters are done but they were the wrong color the first time they brought them out. That was over two months ago. Apparently they're the right color now but I have no idea when they are planning to install them.

My question is how much time are we supposed to give them to correct issues before we take any action against them? My wife and I feel like they are taking advantage of us. The number of no show appointments confirms this.

Wade

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Give the BBB a shot, but I doubt they'll be of much help as they have no enforcement power other than revoking the offenders membership. If your state has a department of consumer affairs, they have a lot more pull. Same with any state contractors license board....if they are licensed contractors. An attorney would be my last resort. You'll have to pay attorney and court costs up front (most likely) and if you do win a judgement that covers those costs, you still have to collect it.

Mort

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

You may want to call the BBB and find out if others have complained about them. If there are other complaints, this may put you on better footing if it does come down to small claims.

Paul