Is the B&W N804 boomy when placed close to the wall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel Enero, May 31, 2002.

1. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

This is my main candidate for my next purchase of front speakers. However, upgrading from a standmount speaker (CDM 1NT) I'm especially cautious about boominess of floorstanders when placed only 1 foot away from the wall behind them. As I use a long-wall placement (short-wall placement is NOT possible in my living room), distance from side wall is not an issue (up to 5 feet is possible).

The other speakers in my short list are:

Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home - well, my Concertino Home was boomy when placed close to the wall, so I assume the GPH will be much more trouble! I think Sonus Fabers have slightly lifted midbass, and that's the enemy of my room. Otherwise, I love these speakers, too.

Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE - well, this is a perfect speaker for music. But I need a floorstander for my HT+music system.

Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mk2 - being back-ported, I also suspect this one will boom big-time. I've heard a lot of people complaining about boominess when placed less than 3 feet from the wall behind it.

2. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

yes, but I think that all/most speakers are, I place my CDM7NTs about 2 feet on each side (but I need more)

3. Arnel Enero

Weird thing is, I got a big room (long but narrow), but I'm unable to place the speakers well away from the back wall. [​IMG]
    If I setup along the short wall, I will need to mess up my furniture big time, to the extent that is simply unacceptable.

4. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

All rooms are different, but in the store, when I auditioned the 804's, they had them within a foot of the rear wall. They used the same placement for the CDM 9NT (did I get that right?). I found that this placement was awful for both these speakers. The bass was bloated and over-powering.

Why are you set against a stand-mount? I have room constraints too, but I'm extremely pleased with the Revel M20 and B15 combo in my combined music/HT system.

5. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

There aren't many speakers that can be placed within a foot of the rear wall, and not sound boomy. Placement constraints really suck.

6. Arnel Enero

7. Larry Hilliard

Larry Hilliard Auditioning

I have a pair of B&W Nautilus 803's and they sound better about 2' out from the wall. These are great sounding speaks. and I think you will like your new B&W's.