What's new

Is the B&W N804 boomy when placed close to the wall? (1 Viewer)

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
This is my main candidate for my next purchase of front speakers. However, upgrading from a standmount speaker (CDM 1NT) I'm especially cautious about boominess of floorstanders when placed only 1 foot away from the wall behind them. As I use a long-wall placement (short-wall placement is NOT possible in my living room), distance from side wall is not an issue (up to 5 feet is possible).

The other speakers in my short list are:

Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home - well, my Concertino Home was boomy when placed close to the wall, so I assume the GPH will be much more trouble! I think Sonus Fabers have slightly lifted midbass, and that's the enemy of my room. Otherwise, I love these speakers, too.

Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE - well, this is a perfect speaker for music. But I need a floorstander for my HT+music system.

Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mk2 - being back-ported, I also suspect this one will boom big-time. I've heard a lot of people complaining about boominess when placed less than 3 feet from the wall behind it.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
yes, but I think that all/most speakers are, I place my CDM7NTs about 2 feet on each side (but I need more)

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Weird thing is, I got a big room (long but narrow), but I'm unable to place the speakers well away from the back wall. :frowning:
If I setup along the short wall, I will need to mess up my furniture big time, to the extent that is simply unacceptable.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
All rooms are different, but in the store, when I auditioned the 804's, they had them within a foot of the rear wall. They used the same placement for the CDM 9NT (did I get that right?). I found that this placement was awful for both these speakers. The bass was bloated and over-powering.

Why are you set against a stand-mount? I have room constraints too, but I'm extremely pleased with the Revel M20 and B15 combo in my combined music/HT system.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
There aren't many speakers that can be placed within a foot of the rear wall, and not sound boomy. Placement constraints really suck.

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Why are you set against a stand-mount?
Two reasons:

(1) I want to get as close to the ultimate macrodynamics and speed of the Wilson Watt/Puppy as possible for my HT. WITHOUT A SUB, any standmount I've auditioned below $5000 just don't do.

(2) I gave up on using a sub IN MY ROOM. I don't know if it's just because of my JMLab sub, but it never really integrated well with my CDM 1NT. I can always locate the sub, no matter how I set the crossover and sub volume. Or maybe it's because of the excessive output above crossover of the rather slow 12-dB/octave high-cut filter of the sub?

Btw, since many people seem to prefer a standmount + sub combo for easier placement, are there still advantages of using a floorstander (sans sub)?

Larry Hilliard

Auditioning
I have a pair of B&W Nautilus 803's and they sound better about 2' out from the wall. These are great sounding speaks. and I think you will like your new B&W's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks